Discuss Fantastic news from 365Drills. PATENT FULLY GRANTED. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Great news today. After five years and £10,000 in expense a full force patent is granted for the PORSADRILL core diamond drilling system.

Not only does that STOP anyone from blatently copying our original idea from 2005 BUT it allows us to negotiate hard with retail.

They cant just grab our UK idea and slip off to the far east to copy it. It also helps secure UK jobs. And as we take this to retail its another string to the bow.

We have been persued RELENTLESSLY by other drill bit manufacturers (no names on here) who were waiting to see if our claims held water. If this had failed then our unique and now PATENTED idea would have been ripped to bits by bigger companies based overseas.

Now we have the paperwork we can protect our IP. And ensure complete enforcement.

269398_10150198344667014_617362013_7004279_8019826_n.jpg

The wheels of justice turn very slowly. But they do turn.....

kit2.jpg

porsadrill_logo2.jpg

PORSADRILL. PROTECTED BY PATENT

D

Deleted member 1779

Re: Fantastic news from 365Drills. PATTENT FULLY GRANTED.

As you can imagine the mood is celabratory here. We have had a rotten month.
Wont go into details but the factory we shared in Sheffield went bust.
I am having to relocate the factory down south to Hoddesdon. Moving 2nd July.

As anyone knows moving is disruptive and expensive. Got to have all the machinery sent down with special equipment for commercial moving.
To keep costs down we shared the factory with 10 small companies. Out of the 10 companies EIGHT were not paying their bills on time.
So the management went bankrupt and shut down. Grrrr.
Although the Patent news is good and lifts the spirits the agro of the relocation is still very real.

Please note we have produced enough stock for 2 months. So no chance of running out even if the production machines stop running. But we will get our move done quickly.

I think they call it Karma or something (ying and yang) all that.

D

Deleted member 1779

Yep I know what you mean about the move!

And the stress will be here until end of July. Small example:

Old Martha one of our High Frequency RF welding machines is being readied for the move.
She has a rather delicate valve inside which if shaken will need to be replaced at the minor cost of £2K !!
365models2.jpg

One of our more delicate machines being relocated.

packingline1.jpg

Me in the glory days stamping out goods on Martha!

Once all the machinery is down and installed then I can breath a sigh of relief.
Didnt realise that you had to have a certificite to drive a 7.5T truck these days.
Tried to hire one and nooo. Hmm.

D

Deleted member 1779

Tabby - You asked: What does the patent protect? Its the METHOD as well as the APPARATUS that is covered. Back then in 2005 when there was NOTHING on the market other than expensive pilot driven rigs - we worked out the principles of removing the pilot drill and set about machining a prototype via CAD drawings and CNC machinery.

p2a.jpg

YES - UK COMPANY!

pa1.jpg

Above the now familar drill plate (in prototype stage) This photo was taken in December 2005 !!

guide2.jpg

This is the CAD documents we produced. Again ALL of this is done in England.

den1.jpg

Even Dragons Den Peter Jones thought it was a good idea when we presented in (without patent granted) to them.
Thats him trying it out. [note they said the market was to niche for them to develop - so chose not to invest]

Its all produced here in the UK. We even EXPORT to countries like Turkey.

turkey.jpg

This company above based in Turkey buys it from us in England and then re-exports to Germany, France, Israel, Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq and Jordan permanently and continue to add new markets.

We will continue with UK production. I cant tell you the pain we have with customs exports documents. If there is ever a messge to the Goverment its to HELP us export by having a regional expert to guide us with paperwork. Not just let us do it wrong and then charge us £45 for every single document. [Exports to Turkey require and ADR.1 form] expensive at £45 each and often required for each carton, not each pallet. Grrr.

D

Deleted member 1779

Good question Dave. The patent covers:
1) The equipment [drill plate, drill guide]
2) The method. [pushing against a surface, drilling through one appature, or a pluarity of appatures]
br3a.jpg

Patent: GB2434558

Wait a minute (I hear you thinking) havent I seen something similar / other products?

Since our patent application [PATENT PENDING] the five years have seen products creep into the market place.
From 20 July 2011 [PATENT GRANTED] we can start the process of patent enforcement by contacting those companies.

Two future options:
1) Prevent the sale of other items that infringe our idea.
2) Licence them to carry on.

For the remainder of 2011 it will be a process of contacting any company who may be in breach. Informing them (they may not know about a patent). Then advising on what we want them to do. Obviously having the patent will prevent blatant copying but also subtle forms of copying too. We will just have to see what the next 20 years brings by way of infringement.

dp1a.jpg

PATENT: GB2434558

For those of you (not already bored!!) and want to read a bit more about patents.

What happens in the world of the patent office?
So you are running a GOLF COURSE (bear with me) and you want the perfect hole into the putting green.
Cue the invention of the grass hole cutter jig. Time for a patent on this right?
This is true: You can read the document here: Document
And it is refused because our diamond drilling rig performs the same techincal function.
Patent for golf hole cutter - Refused

Basically our Granted Patent is seeing off other ideas.

So the question is then: Would anyone try to copy a product with a patent? Guess we will see!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fantastic news from 365Drills. PATENT FULLY GRANTED. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
News: 365-Drills have updated their product display panels - see example at retailer IDEA...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
Check out this months TileUK ! Here we are in it with a little piece about us. And we appear...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
IDEA BRIGHT 212 NEW KINGS ROAD LONDON SW6 4NZ Prefered stockists of PORSADRILL diamond core...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Everyone! :welcome2: Bringing to you updates about Mapei and our products, starting with...
Replies
Views
Mapei UK
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Fantastic news from 365Drills. PATENT FULLY GRANTED.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.