Discuss Faulty fan replacement responsibility? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Faulty fan replacement responsibility? Discussion ThreadFaulty fan replacement responsibility? Electrical Advice

Hi all. Has anybody else had an issue with installing a wall mounted 4" extractor fan, only to find after 9 months the customer has contacted me to say it is now leaking an oily substance down the wall and ruined the paintwork.
I am happy to replace the fan free of charge as it is within the guarantee, but he wants to make a claim for the damaged paintwork.
My question is, am I liable to pay for the repairs? even tho I installed the fan according to the manufacturers instructions, if so, how do I go about sorting it? Do I contact the fan supplier to try to get them to cough up? (Unlikey they would), or do I go through my Public Liability Insurance? (which would bump up my premium), Do I just pay the customer out of my pocket to keep him happy? Or do I tell him I'm not liable and It's not my problem?
I always try to keep customers happy, but if it means making me hundreds of pounds out of pocket, I'm happy to cut all ties with said customer and walk away.
Sensible serious answers would be much appreciated as I've never had this issue in 30 years of trading. Thanks.
IMG-20240712-WA0000.jpg

Faulty fan replacement responsibility? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Faulty fan replacement responsibility? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Faulty fan replacement responsibility? Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond