Currently reading:
Filling the gap between wall and tiles. What product?

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Filling the gap between wall and tiles. What product? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Collision

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help. I've recently finished tiling our floor with large porcelain tiles, 100 m2 total surface area. It's an old stone farmhouse and the bare stone walls are obviously very uneven (If you put a straight edge along the wall there would be gaps up to 8 cm).

I've cut the tiles to (roughly) follow the unevenness of the stone walls and left a gap for expansion. The gap varies from 4mm to 30mm and I'm looking for a material to fill the gap.

Normally the gap would be covered over by skirtings but there aren't any (nor practical because of uneven walls)

Another option might be silicone or mastic but I don't think that's going to be a satisfactory finish. The gap is too wide in places to get the silicone flat, I'd use dozens of tubes of the stuff, silicone wouldn't be a matt enough finish and I'd probably end up with it half way up the walls too.

What I'm really looking for is something like a flexible grout, so that it's easy to work with, fill large gaps, apply easily to give a flat finish and also a matt finish. But not just flexible grout because that's going to crack with any movement.

Does anyone know of any product on the market that fits the bill? Or come up against a similar problem themselves?

Many thanks for any replies.

C

Collision

Sorry guys, I'm confused. If I fill the gap with grout or sand and cement am I not risking cracking from movement due to expansion and contraction? I left the gap deliberately to allow for expansion, if I didn't would I not have run the risk of tiles cracking?

Ps. For clarity; the gap between wall and tile is between 4 and 30 mm. The reason for such a variance itn he width of the expansion gap is the roughness of the bare stone walls. Imagine a very rough drystone dyke and you're still not close!

Reply to Filling the gap between wall and tiles. What product? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

TF on Facebook

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.