Discuss Final check before I begin....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CarlGHudson

Hi, I've not progressed my wet room as envisaged but some 1 year later are about to make a start again.

Final check please can someone confirm the following order of work for me?

1. Impey Aqua Dec former installed - I got this far!
2. Give key to floor and walls.
3. Using Durabase strips seal joints between floor and wall and anywhere pipes come out?
4. Using suitable adhesive (some Mapei stuff) fit Durabase WP to wall overlapping by say 6 inch to floor?
5. Using same adhesive install Durabase C1 across floor area?
6. Lay Elektra heating mat in same adhesive ON TOP OF Durabse C1?
7. Install tiles over wall tanking and heating mat using same adhesive?
8. Grout all tiles?
9. Seal?

I want to do this myself but there is a certain nervousness about getting it wrong!

Any advice greatly recevied.

Thanks​

D

Daz

I admire your enthusiasm and we'll try and give you the best knowledge to complete the installation. As Robson has stated, this is a task that even some less experienced tilers will struggle with, so make sure that you take your time and ask loads of questions if you insist on tackling this yourself.

Can you confirm what tiles you intend to install please? Porcelain or stone & size?
Can you, also, confirm the substrate constructions too?

Regards,

Daz

D

davemul

Hi mate, I say if you feel confident then give it a go! I am!

Main think is waterproofing which you seem to have covered.

my advise would be to lay a self levelling compound over the UFH so you dont damage the cables when laying the tiles.

also check what your walls are made of and ensure you arent going to put too heavy a tile up. Plastered boards you need to be careful

you only need to seal if you are using a porus tile/stone. In this case you seal once laid, then grout and then seal again

id reccomend using an epoxy grout in the wet area to double ensure waterproofness

good luck mate, lets see some pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

Hi Carl,

There is nothing wrong with your order of play. However, I prefer to tank the floor before the walls so that if water gets behind tiles and hence runs down the wall, it follows a natural path on top of tanking to waste rather than running the risk that it could seep under the floor tanking. I, also, prefer to tank the pipe holes last, but that is just my preference.

If it was me, I would probably use Dural CI+ for the floor tanking as it will act as a decoupling membrane and waterproofing membrane but use Dural WP for the wall tanking.

I would recommend sealing the slate before and after grouting.
As for "some Mapei stuff", use Mapei Keraquick as an absolute minimum.

Good luck,

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Final check before I begin....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Final check before I begin.......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.