Discuss Finished bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cabnero

Hi everyone. I've posted threads previously asking for advice on doing my mum's bathroom and had loads of replies all with useful helpful advice. I'm no prone tiler. Just did some courses and enjoy tiling. This bathroom was the first thing ive tiled for about 18 months. Some pictures below for you to look at. I know there are loads of mistakes in this but any advice/ criticism would be welcome. Not least the setting out on the inside of the window! However there are a couple of things particularly that I would appreciate your advice on. The walls were plasterboard education (dot and dabbed) so nice and flats yet I still had lippage issues which drove me nuts. I used a 12mm square notch trowel back buttered the tiles which were 600 x 300 porcelain. I still had small lips on some tiles. How do you guys get around this. Also I'm guessing flat is more the norm than perfectly plumb so you would follow the wall right?? You would just ensure the tiles are all touching a straight edge if that makes sense. Also the guy who fitted the shower plasterboarded the walls. I had murders with him because according to him "people don't pay for all this"he would have just bonded the old walls. I said you were not meant to do this. His reply was "tiles ain't fallen off yet and I've done it". His face when I asked him to nog out the floor was unreal. To top it off he questioned me using a tanking kit when he always used pva. Again his tiles are still up. Is this attitude the norm out there?? Anyway any comments advice would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_7305.PNG
20161010_143932.jpg 20161010_143936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cabnero

Thanks guys for your comments. I was so concern with not having small cuts around the window I completely ignored the cut inside at the top of the reveal. I did ask advice re centering the window as I couldn't get away without a small cut somewhere. A few guys said not to get to hung up about centering the window. Did you guys have any tips or advice regarding my question of lippage. I'm not earning a living at this I know but will at some point do some tiling indoors and want to get it as good as I can. Thanks.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
yea it can be very awkward with the setting out, i always do ry and center window, but if its not possible then you have to do what you can and rethink, as i said looks like a decnt job from the pics me, re the lippage, when spreading on the wall with the notch trowel, ensure you keep the trowel angled from the wall consistaly to give an even bed and when back buttering keep the adheisive the same thinkness spread, and it should keep things easier. having said that, also check the tiles for bows and deformitys, you be surprise how many times you find a tile thats bowed or twisted slighty which does make things very tricky indeed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Finished bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB