Discuss Finishing the edges of floor tiles onto wood in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

S

steffi6

Hi

I recently had my house renovated and as part of this I had a new log burner fire installed. I asked the builder to put down two of the tiles on the floor (mono cebec porcelain tiles) to go under the fire to match what we have in the dining room. The rest of the room with the fire has original wood flooring so the tiles were placed directly on the original wood flooring.

The tiles have now been laid and the fire fitted so we cannot remove the tiles. However, around the outside of the tiles (where the tile meets the wood flooring) the builder has put thick grout to finish the edges of the tiles sloping from the top of the tile to the floor. This looked good when it was wet but as soon as it dried there are big cracks in the grout as it meets the wood flooring.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do to sort this problem? Should I buy the same colour grout and fill in the cracks or will it just crack again? Somone suggested silicone but I want something that will look stylish as it is a feature of the room... Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

B

bugs183

The transition between tiles and wood is always an awkward one, there are many methods of solving this, but it really depends on each job, how you want it to look, and if there is a height difference between the wood and the tile edge.
The chances are this will crack again, due to the expansion of the wood, so regrouting would only be a temporary fix.
Silicon would look like a bodge job, and would spoil the look of the fireplace as a whole.
A good carpenter of cabinet maker could no doubt manufacture some nice wooden cover strips that would cover the tile and wood edge, but this isn't a cheap solution.
The thing to do is send a photo or two in and i'm sure someone here will give you a good suggestion.

P

Peter

Something like this is ideal:

QA101-scotia-beading.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Finishing the edges of floor tiles onto wood in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB