Discuss First attempt at tiling my bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cbrown

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and about to start my first diy tiling job. I’ve spent a couple of hours on here learning the do’s and don’ts and now I am after some reassurance that I am doing things correctly.
I’m prepping the walls and floors for a new bathroom (approx 1.75m by 1.6m) and will be installing 300 x 600 porcelains to walls and floor.

Floor: Removing old floor boards which are shot and laying 18mm wbp ply on reinforced joist (noggins at 300mm centres) to reduce any deflection. Then 6mm pecidur boards to insulate ufh matt laid on top before applying a slc to protect the ufh. Then porcelain tiles using 4 mm spaces.

Walls: Old plaster needs removing back to brickwork so will be installing mr plasterboard on studwork at 300mm centres except where the shower cubicle will sit, will be using 12 hardibacker here. The external walls have no insulation or cavity so was thinking of installing 25mm foil backed insulation boards between studs but worried about moisture collecting behind the tiles / plasterboard, anyone had any issues with this? Decided not to skim the plasterboard as concerned the skim will not hold the weight of the tiles. I am also applying a Weber waterproofing kit to the shower area although appreciate this is likely to be over the top if using Hardibackker but don’t want any leaks after the job is finished. Will be fixing the tiles using stack bond as concerned about lippage if brick bond although cannot see any obvious bowing on the tiles. Will be using 2 mm spaces on these. Also will be inlaying a mirror into the tiles which is 1200 by 600 and fixed to the plasterboard using mirror adhesive.

I think this is the correct method but please advise if I’m doing something wrong!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First attempt at tiling my bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB