Discuss First Bathroom. Help Please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

A lot of tilers would say always use a tanking system for a shower cubicle, and some tanking systems are fairly low cost and easy to apply.

But the way I look at it is, if you use the correct adhesive and grouts, and do a good job then for a home shower, a tanking system isn't needed.

Now when your using porcelain tiles I would use a flexi grout, as grout sometimes doesn't like sticking to porcelain too well, and also Bal's Goldstar states it's useful for porcelain tiles but wether it has similar water resistant propperties as something like Whitestar I don't know.

If it was ceramics then I would use Whitestar and flexi grout and not bother with tanking as whitestar isn't cement based adhesive.
If I was going to use a cement based adhesive with it being porcelain then you need to acrylic prime the plaster walls first.

I've never used porcelain in a shower area yet, so Im not 100% sure myself.

C

calculator

I would go with the tanking system myself, with the risk of water ingress affecting the substrate. water will weaken the plaster/plasterboard saturated plaster/plasterboard loses all strength, collapses and dislodges tiles.. Cement based grouts whilst being unaffected by water once set, are porus and will therefore allow water to seep through. Normal wear and tear from traffic and cleaning solutions can gradually weaken the grout. the most vunrable areas are in the corners around pipes and trim so trat these areas with care.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First Bathroom. Help Please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB