Guest viewing is limited

Discuss First job started....questions already! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redrex

Hi everyone,

Well, started at last my regrout and seal of the travertine shower area floor....3 things I learned very quickly, grout removal? DONT DO IT!! and don't forget your knee pads! and travertine IS very, very soft.

Joking aside, I and the customer are in a bit of a quandry, it seems very clear to me that the original work really wasn't completed very well (done 3 years ago), in summary the following problems are apparent....

1.Tile lipping that catches your toe as you walk over the tiles
2.Definately damp under the tiles.
3.Grout in many places only 2-3mm thick and just pushed through when raking.(10mm travertine tiles)
4.Walls move fairly easily when pushed against.
5.At least one of the tiles makes the sub floor move if you rock on it.
6.Floor tiles have not been fixed under the wall tiles at the joints therefore water runs down the wall straight to the sub floor if the sealant/grout isn't secure.
7. An underfloor heating cable is not where it should be.
8. I have looked but I just can't find a fused spur for the above-nor can the customer.
9. I really can not see any evidence of a tanking membrane, customer knows that a Wedi pre formed tray was fitted but I explained that this was mainly to get the falls to the drain ( I think I am correct on this?)
10.My knees hurt !

So having removed most of the grout, I have suggested that the only real solution is to rip up the floor and start again with a properly reinforced sub floor, tanking etc. Problem is that this is going to cost. Or as a short term fix, continue with what I am doing and use BAL admix to the grout (microcolour wide joint) absolutely packed in as much as I can and seal correctly. I have explained that this is only going to be a short term answer in particular as the shower puts out so much water that it would give the film FLOOD a run for its money. Question is...if I do an absolutely bang on job with the grouting/sealing, do I have a chance or should I get the customer to bite the bullet?

Thanks as always..

redrex

B

basshunter

Trouble with fixes on unknown work is you make a rod for your back and end up never really fixing the root of the problem. Prob best to rip up and start again inc removing bottom course on walls and charge accordingly or walk away. You give your professional opinion and stick to it hard as it may be to not get roped in and think you're doing the guy a favour in helping him.

quality advice.thanks smartile

M

MickD

That sounds exactly like the job I've just been asked about, only it's shower room walls rather than floor. It's even in a similar area (SW London) so maybe it was the same Tiler! Also this is apparently only a 2yr old house and the builder/tiler is taking no responsibility for the workmanship.

If I take it this will be my first job too. I've not seen it yet, only talked over the phone, but I've been told that the wall is damp in the next room too.

I've already advised the customer that the tiles will need to be removed and the walls dried out and treated before tanking and fixing, but he wasn't too happy about the cost implications. However, I think I've persuaded him that the work does need doing if he doesn't want the same problem to arise.

I'll be talking to him again at the weekend so would appreciate any tips that you might give.

S

Spud

you will find this alot on your travels ,customers had a job done on the cheap or not so cheap and its has been totally cocked up ,they call you and expect you to turn up with a magic pot of grout which will
1. stop all movement in the substrate
2. hide all the lipping tiles
3.stop all water penetration
4 make the job look like new again
5.clean all hard water marks off the tiles
if any one finds this magic grout could you let me know oh and by the way they will not want to pay any thing for it as the 1st tiler who messed up the work has had all their money off of them ,good luck

R

redrex

Hi all,

I have been a bit under the weather, hence I havn't had a chance to reply...and getting to grips with this job over the week end. Thank you all for the advice, customer was happy to let me have a crack at regrouting etc it and I will be quoting for a re-fit in 2 months....at least this customer has no money worries(well they might have but more on the lines of 'what shall I spend it on!) I'm happy cos I have been paid and I get to go back and get paid again.I have learned a couple of valuable lessons though, not least don't assume that person in before you knew how to use a spirit level or straight edge! and the best advice when you are doing a physical job? ask the customer to turn the heated floor and towel rails OFF the night before you start working on a hot summer weekend! and if you are getting tired or frustrated.....stop and relax for a bit...cos thats when things get broken!

Overall though, a good experience and the nicest comment from the customer at the end? 'Gosh! That looks like brand new! You DO know what you are doing, don't you!'

R

redrex

That sounds exactly like the job I've just been asked about, only it's shower room walls rather than floor. It's even in a similar area (SW London) so maybe it was the same Tiler! Also this is apparently only a 2yr old house and the builder/tiler is taking no responsibility for the workmanship.

If I take it this will be my first job too. I've not seen it yet, only talked over the phone, but I've been told that the wall is damp in the next room too.

I've already advised the customer that the tiles will need to be removed and the walls dried out and treated before tanking and fixing, but he wasn't too happy about the cost implications. However, I think I've persuaded him that the work does need doing if he doesn't want the same problem to arise.

I'll be talking to him again at the weekend so would appreciate any tips that you might give.

Hi Mick,

Probably was! best advice as a newbie I can give is go and see the job and meet the guy in person. spend time looking and investigating, ask lots of questions and then go away and think. Don't quote a price just to get the job because it's your first one and don't get your addy and grout from Topps if you want to keep your costs down!

redrex

Reply to First job started....questions already! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
First job started....questions already!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.