UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss First Tiling Job Completed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

armyash

Ok I completed the 5 day tiling course at Able Skills a week ago and as I'm on leave for 2 weeks I decided to re tile the bathroom while things were still fresh in my head. It's not perfect but I'm pleased with it as my first task. I don't plan on taking up tiling as a career (wise choice I'm sure you'll all tell me lol). I'm a qualified plumber (through the army) and thought it would be a good idea to get an insight in to tiling so that I can lend a hand when needed on any tiling work in the future rather than being a dogs body.

There's a couple of tiles that haven't been cut as accurately as I'd like so will need replacing, the grouting could do with tidying up along the top because of the paint and I need to silicone the basin and the bath trim. An hours work at most but working tomorrow so it can wait for another day.

bathroom 1.jpg bathroom 2.jpg bathroom3.jpg bathroom4.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Ash - as you are in the army I'am sure you are man enough to take a bit of advice - but after 5 days on a tiling course I'd ask for my money back!
What they obviously didn't include in the 5 days was how to set out the tiles to allow the pattern to flow around the corners and why you have a gap between the basin and bath tiling only you can explain.
If you are intending to do more tiling to go with your plumbing then you need to spend more time on this forum and ask for help rather than to go rushing into a project and making basic mistakes which will overshadow any quality that may be in the actual tile fixing.
I hope to read more questions in the future and will attempt to answer in the positive.

A

armyash

Yeah the patterns round the corners lets it down. That would have been taught on the course but I wasn't quick enough to start that. I will be able to get some advice to learn that. There was a gap in the original tiling between the basin and the bath so just kept it that way,simple as that really.

Not perfect like I said but still a lot better than what was in before :D

Thanks for the response.

M

Mike Mike

Will sort it next week and put up the new pics. Look forward to seeing the new comments.

The tiling itself (flatness on wall, quality of cuts etc) looks very good. The setting out, as has been mentioned, could be better. But the most important question has yet to be asked, and that is: which one of is colour blind? You? Your girlfriend? Or both of you?

I mean mate, Jesus Christ, what colour are those walls painted in? And how the hell did you ever manage to find tiles that matched that colour?

Do you have in your possession a time machine? Did you go back in time to 1973 to buy that paint and those tiles? Damn, that's a nasty colour! :yikes::lol:

A

armyash

The tiling itself (flatness on wall, quality of cuts etc) looks very good. The setting out, as has been mentioned, could be better. But the most important question has yet to be asked, and that is: which one of is colour blind? You? Your girlfriend? Or both of you?

I mean mate, Jesus Christ, what colour are those walls painted in? And how the hell did you ever manage to find tiles that matched that colour?

Do you have in your possession a time machine? Did you go back in time to 1973 to buy that paint and those tiles? Damn, that's a nasty colour! :yikes::lol:

lol the gf said she though might be bit old fashioned but i'm not really bothered. It's a rented house and the bathroom was already painted that colour. The whole point of the exercise was to practise tiling that I learnt on the able skills course, I'm a bloke, the colour of the room where I s*it is of no great importance :D

It's a rented house, the tiling is an improvement of what was in place, believe it or not it's a lot better now than what it was. When it comes to tiling I don't know what is deemed as old fashioned or 'nasty'. I practised a bit of tiling and it went ok, obviously I need to have a go at the pattern flow around the corners which is somethng else to learn but all in all didn't go too badly.

Appreciate all the comments so far though.

M

Mike Mike

lol the gf said she though might be bit old fashioned but i'm not really bothered. It's a rented house and the bathroom was already painted that colour. The whole point of the exercise was to practise tiling that I learnt on the able skills course, I'm a bloke, the colour of the room where I s*it is of no great importance :D

It's a rented house, the tiling is an improvement of what was in place, believe it or not it's a lot better now than what it was. When it comes to tiling I don't know what is deemed as old fashioned or 'nasty'. I practised a bit of tiling and it went ok, obviously I need to have a go at the pattern flow around the corners which is somethng else to learn but all in all didn't go too badly.

Appreciate all the comments so far though.

:lol: At least you can take it on the chin, good on you. :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Ash - I was going to remark in my original comments that I liked the colour of the tiles (but you may have thought I was being patronising) but as I have one bathroom in a similar colour and it is staying for a number of years to come - I do like the colour!
Every scheme is a personal choice and I believe that is what makes our job so interesting, the only question I would ask is did you enjoy the project, and if so take all the comments as constructive and build on the pleasure it gave you.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds

I think what he's done is miss out every other tile so its actually paint that you can see, and that's how he managed to match the colour so well. :thumbsup:

A

armyash

Ash - I was going to remark in my original comments that I liked the colour of the tiles (but you may have thought I was being patronising) but as I have one bathroom in a similar colour and it is staying for a number of years to come - I do like the colour!
Every scheme is a personal choice and I believe that is what makes our job so interesting, the only question I would ask is did you enjoy the project, and if so take all the comments as constructive and build on the pleasure it gave you.

Thanks! I like the colour myself too. It was just easier to match the tiles to the paint that was already in the bathroom if i'm honest. Now as the dodgy corners have been pointed out it's starting to bug me though lol. I did enjoy it though, very satisfying to strip the old tiles then add something new from scratch, getting the grouting finished then cleaning up was a good feeling.

I'm more than happy with the end result of my first job, also people who have seen it have said it looks good (obviously they don't know how to tile unlike you guys lol)

Thanks for that reply timeless john! Very encouraging.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First Tiling Job Completed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.