Discuss First tiling jobs in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nickt9999

Hi All,

I am updating a house and was after some advice.

The wife has chosen some tiles that are 602x300x9mm porcelain wall tiles. They weigh 4kgs each, meaning a weight of 22.15Kg per m2.
Can someone tell me what the weigh of the adhesive is likely to be?
I dont know what notched trowel size to use, I was thinking 10mm?
What about grout width, how does 2mm sound?

Originally I was going to use Hardie board as the tiles/adhesive would be approaching the 32Kg limit for plaster/plasterboard. However I am now thinking about Marmox board as the house is solid brick and could be prone to condensation. What are you opinions on both?

Many thanks
Nick

O

One Day

Rolls-Royce option: Use Kerdi Board from Schluter - dot n dabbed onto clean blocks using tile adhesive, then fix anchors (from Schluter) through the adhesive dabs.

Un-skimmed bare plasterboard will be ok though with the tiles you suggest.
If you are dry lining and get your walls in A1 condition, then an 8mm trowel will be ok - just back skim the tiles too to get a solid bed.
Shouldn't add any more than 5kg per sqm imo.

N

nickt9999

Rolls-Royce option: Use Kerdi Board from Schluter - dot n dabbed onto clean blocks using tile adhesive, then fix anchors (from Schluter) through the adhesive dabs.

Un-skimmed bare plasterboard will be ok though with the tiles you suggest.
If you are dry lining and get your walls in A1 condition, then an 8mm trowel will be ok - just back skim the tiles too to get a solid bed.
Shouldn't add any more than 5kg per sqm imo.

Thanks for the reply Impish.
Where do you advise I get Kerdi board from? Will that provide some thermal insulation?

You mention block, however the house is a double skin bricks (built in 1939)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First tiling jobs in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB