Discuss First time Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Handy Manny

Afternoon all,

Been asked to look at a job a Tiler has walked off. I'm a Handy Man so be gentle ;) Apparently he refused to work with one wall which the customer says varies by 2mm and took a week to do 3 rows of one wall. I'm going to have a look tomorrow.
From what I can gather this is a new wet room with approx. 60 x 40 Trav tiles to put up. I've done a fair bit of ceramic wall and floor but never Trav so was hoping for some pointers to bear in mind when looking at the job. From reading round the forum I need to check the wall construction for weight rating and preferably fit behind fittings as cutting round is hard. I've got Marcrist bits for pipe holes.
The thing I'd most like advice on is cuts. I have a Rubi Star 50N Plus cutter which obviously won't do the length of these tiles. We're out in the middle of nowhere so don't think I'll be able to hire anything. What would you advise getting for these cuts. I have a Marcrist CR850 blade for my grinder but would be worried about how straight the cut would be.

Any help very gratefully received, Simon

T

Time's Ran Out

Simon - you can use your angle grinder outside!
Don't forget Travertine needs sealing, white cement based fast set flexible adhesive and possibly jasmine grout.
If you go for a wet cutter you can pick one up for £50 from Wickes or one of the other DIY sheds and will last a couple of jobs. Any ceramic/stone blade will cut the few tiles you'll have to do.
Work clean - seal tiles when dry and before grouting.
Good luck.

T

The Handy Manny

Thanks John

That's good news. I'm in to Aberdeen on Monday so I'll praps see if Tilegiant or Topps have anything. Don't mind getting a decent tool but can't spend a fortune on a big machine for how often it would be used.
What are your views on cuts for basins WC's etc? I haven't seen the job yet and at the moment I'm assuming as it's a new job the room is bare. However if I do need to shape around items would a Rotozip or Fein (both of which I have) do the job and if so with which bit/blade?

Cheers, Simon

T

The Handy Manny

Well that was interesting. Room is not too bad. Decent enough board on stud with no fixtures etc in place so the wall tiling should be no problem. A few alcoves etc to plan which don't seem to have been accounted for in the wall that has been 'done'.

Floor is another matter. It has a drain with a reasonable fall set into it but the 'perfectionist' that walked off the job hadn't/wasn't going to tank anywhere.

So I can't take the tiles down so I suggest to tank up to the tiles all the way round and the rest of the wall to head height on the remaining walls and floor. They have Warm Up under floor heating to go in (have used this before) so some form of insulating board on rest of floor then membrane then heating in adhesive and tile? Any ideas and tips welcome.

As to the tile it's heavily filled and the back of the tile looks like a particularly badly pitted section of the moon. Apparently the shop that sold it said it needs to be buttered on the back with adhesive to fill the holes. Is that right? I take it that won't help with cuts for pipes etc. Lot of filler on the dressed front too which I don't think looks great but they're happy. Also the shop has told them they will need to seal each year. Is this a ploy to sell sealer? I thought if something like Aquamix Sealer's Choice Gold was used it wouldn't need touching for years.

Further hints and tips gratefully received :)

I

Ian

Buttering the back is a must with travertine especially on the floor where there will be at some point a lady in high heels crossing it! Any voids on the back of the tiles will soon become holes on the front if this is not done. as for sealing as mentioned already in the link, after fitting but before grouting then after grouting. Re-sealing every year is not really necessary as i assume this is domestic not commercial. One last thing QEP do a 110mm glass cutting blade (B&Q £16.99) brilliant on a grinder and no water needed. Hope this is of use. Bri

Reply to First time Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic! One...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
First time Travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.