Discuss first trial of the vibration machine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

here is some video of the first trial of Ray's Tile iron vibration machine which aids solid bed fixing ,I didnt get the hang of it at first and was pressing far too lightly as I was fightened it would damage the tiles and it took me about 10 tiles to get the hang of using it ,it definitely helps achieve a solid bed once you use it correct and apply the pressure from the centre and literally iron out the air from underneath the tile I will post some pictures of the finished job too [video=youtube;Y3wCgvXQySI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wCgvXQySI[/video]

Attachments

• DSC03183 (1280x960).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03185 (1280x960).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC03187 (1280x960).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

that did not work at all. more adhesive was put under the tile every time. obvs get 100% coverage keep lifting and putting more underneath.
no it didnt work well at first as I was frightened to put any pressure on it as I thought it would damage the tiles once I started to put my weight on it and work from the centre of the tile out to the edges it did start working well I will do another video on the next job I use it on to show it better:thumbsup:

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
Gary and a couple of the other guys test a lot of products both new and old and give feedback on here - usually in the form of a video. Do a search for the testing thread and you'll see what I mean.
Just seems like alot of hassle when at the end of the day you butter your tiles and press them down to get good coverage anyway! It's a lot quicker to ! But Many great inventions have to start somewhere !!

S

Spud

Thanks for the film Gary, i must say the one you are testing looks like a cheap eastern copy ,of the ramondi (top quality ) can you get one of them to test against it ~~~?

Yes it was just a cheap one Ray picked up from a tool market in china costing 20 bucks, we might be meeting Raimondi soon and will look into seeing if they will bring their hand held tool with them, theirs has a nylon base which will protect the tile from scratching, the plate on this device is metal ,vibration tools do play a big part in the fixing of the large format tiles and sheet porcelain products so I will carry on experimenting with this until I have a method worked out

C

Colour Republic

Did you use it for the whole floor Gary? i.e. did you persist or give up and go back to your previous methods?

Scratching would be my main concern, it's grit (or sand from the addy) getting underneath that would be my main concern. Were they Rays tiles? As the ones I saw had a slight textured matt finish which would be harder to scratch than a glossier flat tile. I'm guessing at least.

S

Spud

Did you use it for the whole floor Gary? i.e. did you persist or give up and go back to your previous methods?

Scratching would be my main concern, it's grit (or sand from the addy) getting underneath that would be my main concern. Were they Rays tiles? As the ones I saw had a slight textured matt finish which would be harder to scratch than a glossier flat tile. I'm guessing at least.
yes Rob they are Porcel-thin tiles they are the new antislip range Ray has just got in with an extremely high pendulum test rating I would be concerned with scratch tiles too but I can honestly say that the machine did not damage the tiles in any way, I used the machine for the first day on the job but was under pressure to get it completed on the friday before xmas so I went back to rubbing the tile in to its bed and using looser adhesive on day 2 the job was 37m2 with Ditra and was tiled and grouted in 2 days with a labourer helping me

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Yes it was just a cheap one Ray picked up from a tool market in china costing 20 bucks, we might be meeting Raimondi soon and will look into seeing if they will bring their hand held tool with them, theirs has a nylon base which will protect the tile from scratching, the plate on this device is metal ,vibration tools do play a big part in the fixing of the large format tiles and sheet porcelain products so I will carry on experimenting with this until I have a method worked out

Nice one Gary,there would be nothing stopping you getting some plastic-faced sponge and cutting to size and sticking it to the vibration plate underneath, it will take the risk of damaging the tiles away !i have been thinking of buying one of the ramondi one's for my mosaic work, as you can adjust the vibration rate on them,and this is more appealing to me on a tool so you can change to the different materials we work with,!! but looking forward to more on this m8........

J

jonnyc

not quite what to say really.
i can see what you are trying to achieve and this tool may do it .ie achieve a solid bed .
but i think one is assuming that the subfloor is dead level and even in the first instance .
then the tile is an even thickness and then the bed applied by trowel is even as well.
if this was the case then surely it would be as easy to get a solid bed just by normal fixing method.
but if the the screed is not quite level as is the norm and you need to bed tiles up a bit with extra adhesive then yes you need to still maintain a solid bed but you need to adjust tiles with oressure that i dont think you can do with a mini vibro machine like this

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to first trial of the vibration machine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-MXRJTp6s Raimondi BERTA Grout Washing Machine...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
L
Hello there. We've just bought our first home and having moved in last week, we are about to...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
E
''hope you don't mind me contacting you about our Brand New 20 litre Automatic Floor adhesive...
Replies
Views
I
O
.......so as u've probably already seen, @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin exhibits at the Sleep Exhibition...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB