Discuss First van in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hotrod

Looking about for a second hand van in good condition that I can use for my new career, have seen quite a few Citroen belingos and Renault kangoos at a good price with reasonable mileage, are these likely to be suitable or a little on the small side, obviously starting out want to keep running costs to a minimum as I know it's going to be hard going but equally don't want to buy something and need to replace in 12 months if I can avoid it. Would be interested in people's thoughts on their suitability
thanks
rod

D

DGJ

Will you just be tiling or are you Multi skilled and will look to do bathroom refurbs etc?If so then I would look for a van a little larger, you don't want to turn work away in future because the job is to big????

Edit- when I say "only tiling" that's not meant to offend any one as tiling is a damn hard trade and can make or break the finish, just meant if your going to be a multi treadesman a bigger van might be more adequate

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hotrod

Will you just be tiling or are you Multi skilled and will look to do bathroom refurbs etc?If so then I would look for a van a little larger, you don't want to turn work away in future because the job is to big????

Edit- when I say "only tiling" that's not meant to offend any one as tiling is a damn hard trade and can make or break the finish, just meant if your going to be a multi treadesman a bigger van might be more adequate

I'm planning on principley tiling but do have a couple of jobs lined up for the autumn fitting a couple of bathrooms and kitchens for friends so a bigger van would be easier then I can hire a transit for £30 a day though so my train of thought was if I needed to do that half a dozen times in a year that would cost less than the extra insurance tax and diesel on a larger van, i do really like the look of the swb vivaro but every time I see one it's done 150k plus, just waiting now to find out when I can hand back in my company lease car then will have to get something sharpish

H

hotrod

I'm facing a similar situation myself hotrod, as the van is probably the most expensive 'tool' I need to buy, and want to make sure I get it right, so that it lasts me at least a couple of years until I get the business established.

I'm drawn towards a kangoo, berlingo or possibly an Astra van, but not many going at the moment at a reasonable price with a good mileage.

Theres a belingo near me 7 yrs old 80k very clean and tidy fully ply lined only had 2 owners and is up for £1750 ? Does that sound reasonable ? I had budgeted 3k for a van to start up but obviously the more I can save the better

W

WR Landscaping

Get the biggest van you can afford as there never big enough. Whatever you want look into it online first as there are lots of hidden faults with vehicles which you either can find out the hard way or by looking on owners forums.

For example transits with 2.0ltr diesels with the turbo have fuel pump failure which can be £1000 and also have dual mass flywheels which are about the same to replace.

Vauxhall combos have the same clutch issue and also a fuel pump issue.

Would go with a kangoo out of the smaller vans but big van would be an iveco.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366141592.694762.jpg
I've managed with this for 40 years!!
Lmao..... It does me!

R

RDTiling

Theres a belingo near me 7 yrs old 80k very clean and tidy fully ply lined only had 2 owners and is up for £1750 ? Does that sound reasonable ? I had budgeted 3k for a van to start up but obviously the more I can save the better

That does sound reasonable (to me anyway) particularly for a reasonably low mileage.

i have budgeted for around £3K also, but anything under that for something decent is a bonus.

H

hotrod

IMO in this day and age a car is a no go, think of first impressions. I know if I was having work done and some one turned up in a banged up estate alarm bells would start ringing, or is that just me?

Couldnt agree more see loads of tradesmen in old estate cars or vans that are rust buckets with some tiny advert on the side e.g trevs plastering (apologies to any trevs on the forum) I'd never entrust my home to them frankly and not the image I want to portray, I appreciate I will be far from the best of tilers when I start but I can be as professional as any so want to start off in the right manner

Thanks for everyone's advice think I will hang out for a primastar, transit or vivaro

Looking about for a second hand van in good condition that I can use for my new career, have seen quite a few Citroen belingos and Renault kangoos at a good price with reasonable mileage, are these likely to be suitable or a little on the small side, obviously starting out want to keep running costs to a minimum as I know it's going to be hard going but equally don't want to buy something and need to replace in 12 months if I can avoid it. Would be interested in people's thoughts on their suitability
thanks
rod

Kangoos berlins are good lil vans, My uncle has used several for years as a plasterer.. they are a bit pricey on parts...being french!

I have a 08 Astravan which is a good image van but no good for anything more than 2 gorilla buckets & a washboy! My level set has to go diagonally in ! !

Before I went self employed I had 2 Ford Ransits as company vans... Could not fault them! Spacious AND Cheaper on insurance... even though they are twice the size of my Vaux:)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First van in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB