UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Fitting BCT 400 * 250 walls tiles to plasterboard and plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TerryTibbs

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a job for a friend in a few weeks using BCT 400 x 250 White ceramic tiles in a bathroom with a bathtub with a shower above it.

I'll be doing about 12sqm including a mosaic border.

The surface will be Fresh plasterboard and old plaster (cement).

Do I need to use any sort of backing board infront of the plaster/board or should I use moisture resistant boards?

I have a few tubs of ready mix adhesive that was left over from a big job on site...can I use this?

What trowel should I use? 4mm? 6mm notch or rounded?

Greatful for any advice.

R

Rookery

As above, waterproof the wet areas (ie around the shower area) with a tanking kit such as Mapei Shower Kit. You could use a ready mixed adhesive but in view of the size of the tile, you would have to leave grouting for several days to ensure adhesive had dried properly. Better to use a cement based one such as Mapei Adesilex P9. You have to mix it with water but it stays workable in the bucket for virtually a whole day and I find its easier to trowel out than ready mixed. You'll have to prime the walls first with a proper tilers primer such as Mapei Primer G. With that size of tile I'd use an 8mm notch minimum.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fitting BCT 400 * 250 walls tiles to plasterboard and plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.