Discuss fix someone else's work! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

hi all, been to look at a job I should of done last Christmas but couldn't fit in. custard Ended up using someone else but it has caused no end of problems. Now he as asked me if I can put anything right! Kitchen/dinner is 36m 2 of crap slate effect ceramics. He wants me to re grout floor as it look like it was cleaned off with a mop! I know won't be able to get grout out without chipping or scratching tiles. I presume I wouldn't be able to go over existing grout. Never tried to do any repairs before was looking for some advice! He is a friend of local builder we get plenty of work from so wanted to help if I can. Both bathroom travertine floors have cracked and the workmanship in general is pathetic feel so sorry for him. One more thing how long do I need to leave a screed floor to dry before tiling

thanks again

D

DHTiling

Stripping out grout is never an easy option, there's a gadget on the market called a Fenn, I think that's how its spelt. It's a vibrating disc which works. The screeded floor needs to be left for a MINIMUM of 2 weeks, preferably 3.(If the screed shrinks after you've fixed the tiles, ill the tiles shrink as well????)

you might want to check the specifications on that...:)

M

man of kent

BS 5395-3 2007
C.1.9 Eliminating construction moisture
COMMENTARY ON C.1.9
Although ceramic tiles are unaffected by constructional water, concrete
bases and screeds shrink as they dry out and can produce sufficient
compression forces to break the adhesion between the tiles and bed. It is
therefore essential that a proportion of the drying shrinkage of the
concrete base and/or levelling screed is allowed to take place before fixing
tiles.
Structural concrete should be subjected to continuous air drying after
the end of curing for at least six weeks before either a levelling screed
or a tile bed is applied to it. A longer period might be necessary in poor
drying conditions. Cement:sand and fine concrete levelling screeds
should be cured for at least seven days and be subjected to continuous
air drying after curing for at least two weeks before the tiling is applied.
A longer period might be required in poor drying conditions and/or
where the floor is to be heated. Where the bed is laid over a separating
layer, as described in 7.2.3.3 the need to allow some shrinkage to take
place before tiling is less important as movements in the base or
levelling screed are not transmitted to the tile bed or tiles.

D

DHTiling

So you don't have BS5385 then... that is what governs tiling..

You need to make sure a screed is dry to 75% relative humidity , so in theory a screed containing portland cement that performs to BS-EN 197-1:2000 is allowed to firstly cure for min 7 days and to prevent the surface drying to quickly..

Then it is left a further 2 weeks to dry out...min 21 days before tiling BUT the screed will still be green and then a moisture test can be performed to test humidity within the screed if you wish to tile the standard way.

You can tile after 3 weeks but not with standard adhesives unless the screed has heating and you forced dried it but that cannot commence till 21 days anyway...

So as John has said you can use a green screed adhesive at 21 days or a vapour equalisation membrane but not standard adhesive as the screed could curl from this point onwards and debond the tiles.. a green screed adhesive will allow for shrinkage and expansion and so will the vapour equalisation membrane.

But to tile as normal IMO is asking for a failure, we are all here to learn and everybody learns something new....

Hope that helps..

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

Thanks for you detailed advice much appreciated. Have only been tiling a few years and my knowledge is limited to bathrooms really. But I've done a bathroom and wetroom for a custard and he has asked me to tile a big open plan kitchen/ livingroom/ conservatory over 2 different substrates screed and suspended flooring. Just making sure I do my research before I decide if I'm confident enough to do job. Again thanks for your advice about screed and removing grout.

Reply to fix someone else's work! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
fix someone else's work!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.