Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Fixing Backer Boards to solid walls with plugs and screws in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Institute FUF

Hi all - am a new member, a DIYer largely without any particular skills.

Can I start by asking a question - I want to fix 6mm No More Ply backer boards (1200 x 600mm) to a solid shower wall using screws and plugs before tiling. Can anyone please advise me on: -
(a) At what centres should I fix screws?
(b) What size/length screw should I use?
(c) Which wall plugs should I use?
I'd prefer to avoid reliance exclusively on adhesive for fixing the backer boards as this will simply add to the weight that the slightly dodgy plaster is being asked to bear in addition to the tile weight - hence preferred method of using screws and plugs.
Advice welcome and will be gratefully received!

I

Institute FUF

Thanks for that but I probably used the wrong expression - it's not dodgy in the sense that it's loose or blown, it's just a tad uneven with one or two small areas of missing skim following removal of the previous tiled finish.
The main reason I am using the backer boards is to build up the wall to ensure it allows the tiles to overhang an upright tiling lip on the top of the shower basin - long story - I know I should have fitted the latter such that the existing plaster allowed tiling over the lip - i.e. by cutting away the surface of the wall before positioning the shower tray - but it's an alcove, a very tight fit and a very heavy shower - after much struggling, and cutting away of the wall I had to accept that the lip would be slightly proud of the plaster on one side (the other 2 sides are perfect) - but 6mm backer board would create exactly the right surface configuration finish above the shower tray for tiling over the lip. So if you could advise on centres, screw sizes etcetera it would be much appreciated.

I

Institute FUF

Many thanks to you all but I now regret using the expression dodgy - sorry - it's just a little uneven from the process of removing the previous tiles. I already have the tile backer boards for the wall in question and my main purpose in using them is to add that extra 6mm to the surface of the wall such that it will ensure the tiles, when applied, nicely overhang the upright tiling lip on the very heavy and difficult to install shower tray below. So if you could help with screw sizes and centres for fixing the backer boards it would be very much appreciated. I am using a ceramic tile sized 230mm x 400mm.

Reply to Fixing Backer Boards to solid walls with plugs and screws in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just wondered what would be best? The original tiles had a few hairline cracks from the house...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Fixing Backer Boards to solid walls with plugs and screws
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.