Discuss Flexible grout has cracked after only 2 days !!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Keez

First time poster on here. I hope you guys can help me out here.

Upstairs bathroom. 2.5M x 2.5M

Have just replaced my bathroom floor with 18mm exterior ply and screwed down every 6inches on EVERY joist. Put down 330mmx330mm ceramic tiles using flexible tile adhesive. 2mm gaps. Grouted using Mapei Ultra Colour Plus (mixed exactly as per instructions). Left the grout for 24hrs before walking on the floor.

After just 2 days of walking on the floor, a lot of the grout towards the centre of the bathroom (most floor movement) has cracked !

The description on the grout box does state the it is suitable for timber floors. I took this as meaning that it is flexible.

Any ideas what the problem coud be?

Thanks for looking in guys.

D

doug boardley

Keez, it is more than likely a deflection problem, ie the floor has some "bounce" in it. Did you put any noggins between the joists? To be honest, tiling directly onto ply isn't a good idea either imo, you should overboard the ply with a hardiebacker type board, this wont stop deflection,(only a completely solid floor will do that), but will provide a more suitable tiling surface.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Hi,

Did you put the ply straight on to the joists or onto the floorboards/chipboard that was already on the joists?
What adhesive did you use - ready mixed in a tub or powdered in a bag?
When you say most movement do you mean there was deflection in the middle of the room
that you could detect before tiling?

K

Keez

Wow, some quick responses there, thanks guys.

I did put noggins in.

Ply was put straight onto the joists, old chipboard removed.

The adhesive I used was Nicobond Quickflex, powdered bagged.

Yes, there is deflection in the middle of the room. When I step out of the bath/shower, there is a slight bounce, approx 1/4inch. I thought this was quite normal, what flexible grout was designed for.

What are my options now? I really need to get this floor sealed and protected from water. I know it's not the done thing, but what about removing the grout and using either silicone or acrylic?

G

grumpygrouter

But the grout is moving 1/4inch vertically, along with the tile. It's not like one tile is staying still whilst it's neighbour is movinf 1/4inch.

This is so frustrating, I need to find a solution to this. Looks like silicone may be the only alternative, unlees I can find such a thing as a SUPER flexible grout.

...and that is why it has cracked! There is no product on the market that will take up that amount of movement, even silicone will struggle to stay in tact after a while. If the grout hadn't cracked to take up the stress imparted upon it, the tile would have.

The only real solution you have is to strengthen your floor.....or put vinyl down! Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but that is just the way it is I'm afraid.

R

Rich

I have to agree with the guys above, Im afraid. ANY bounce in a floor will cause a nightmare to a tiler. The grout has cracked, the adhesive will not be able to stand that kind of deflection either and removing the grout and replacing with silicone will not achieve anything. As has been said above the tiles will come loose and crack, we have all seen this endless times and people always try filling the crack in with silicone to keep it water tight, not once have I ever seen it do anything but make a mess. The only option is to strengthen the floor. Sorry.

W

White Room

Wow, some quick responses there, thanks guys.

I did put noggins in.

Ply was put straight onto the joists, old chipboard removed.

The adhesive I used was Nicobond Quickflex, powdered bagged.

Yes, there is deflection in the middle of the room. When I step out of the bath/shower, there is a slight bounce, approx 1/4inch. I thought this was quite normal, what flexible grout was designed for.

What are my options now? I really need to get this floor sealed and protected from water. I know it's not the done thing, but what about removing the grout and using either silicone or acrylic?

With the Nicobond Quickflex did you add a diluted Nicobond Enhancer 2002 for the ply, if you did'nt you should have done..

Standard Quickflex is ok for screed floors http://www.ncdirect.co.uk/pdf/quickflex.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Flexible grout has cracked after only 2 days !!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

In about 2-3 weeks after we got our bathroom fitted we noticed that the grout cracked along one...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Flexible grout has cracked after only 2 days !!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.