• Thread starter Stef
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 320

Discuss Floater in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Went & looked at a job for someone I know.
Long story short they had a "Tiler" in to look at it & he recommends a decoupler to take away a very slight bounce in the floor.
They wanted me to tile originally but didn't want to wait 4/6 months for me.
This floor is made up of 22mm caberdeck flooring sitting on top of 50mm king span on top of concrete.
There is very little movement in the floor, I have tiled to worse wooden floors.
I have tiled to floating floors before with success but it's not something I like doing.
Any views on this scenario would be appreciated.

S

Stef

If height allows you could overboard with 10mm Hardiebacker.
It is far more rigid than the 6mm,it's not just a thicker version of the 6mm, it looks/feels like it is made on a separate production line to the 6mm.
It's 12mm, Hardie backer 500.
I've got sheets of it in my garage.
I'm waiting on the floor getting cleared out to see how much the floor needs to come up.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

the best i have ever tested on defletion on a floor was the blanke perma matt very pricey but can handle a lot of movement .test the floors movement with a glass of water half fill then mark every 5mm then place on floor in diffrent places walk up and down past it use your phone to record the movement .one of you then two and three in diffrent directions .half the measurement to give you the answer

S

Stef

the best i have ever tested on defletion on a floor was the blanke perma matt very pricey but can handle a lot of movement .test the floors movement with a glass of water half fill then mark every 5mm then place on floor in diffrent places walk up and down past it use your phone to record the movement .one of you then two and three in diffrent directions .half the measurement to give you the answer
I put the dewalt laser on the floor & got them to walk round the room & I marked the difference, it was just over 1mm.
There's very little movement in the floor.
Its because it's classed as a floater that's getting to me.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I put the dewalt laser on the floor & got them to walk round the room & I marked the difference, it was just over 1mm.
There's very little movement in the floor.
Its because it's classed as a floater that's getting to me.
hi stef the big question here for you is whats going on the floor after it is tiled as the the movement is very little
and most decouplers would handle this .have seen these floors fail after kitchen fitted middle breakfast bar loaded with grannit work top. because the concarete floor was not gone over with a self leveler the king span was sitting on the high spots the weight of the breakfast bar with the grannit pushed down the floor leading to cracks in the tiles runing off all four conrners that was 10mm 600x600 porcs

S

Stef

hi stef the big question here for you is whats going on the floor after it is tiled as the the movement is very little
and most decouplers would handle this .have seen these floors fail after kitchen fitted middle breakfast bar loaded with grannit work top. because the concarete floor was not gone over with a self leveler the king span was sitting on the high spots the weight of the breakfast bar with the grannit pushed down the floor leading to cracks in the tiles runing off all four conrners that was 10mm 600x600 porcs
Hi Ray, this is the exact worry on this floor, kitchen is tall units both end then there's a big island in the middle with cooker, sink etc.
I'm not sure about worktop yet as we haven't got to that stage, will find out tomorrow.
I'm trying to give them a ball park figure so they know what they are looking at.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floater in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB