Discuss floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
lo all,i have an old customer asking me to tile his new extension which is being built in december

the floors floating and he claims it will be fine to tile,i dont generally touch floating floors however if its a new extension they have a blank canvas to work with,is there any spec i can get them to add to make this floor much stronger? not really come across this as of yet

D

DHTiling

lo all,i have an old customer asking me to tile his new extension which is being built in december

the floors floating and he claims it will be fine to tile,i dont generally touch floating floors however if its a new extension they have a blank canvas to work with,is there any spec i can get them to add to make this floor much stronger? not really come across this as of yet

Yes.. Screed it..:lol:

D

Daz

My advice would be to get the customer to screed, if possible. However, I'll put my hands up and admit that I have tiled a couple of floating floors.

One was 35sqm with a 3 tile porcelain pattern and the other was a 3 tile pattern with 25mm thick sandstone. The porcelain floor was over a year ago and I am still receiving recommendations from the customer. In both cases I insisted on overboarding with "No More Ply" and I used Ardex 7001 (tile to wood, super dooper flexible) adhesive. It should also be noted that the floors had been previously tiled prior to the customers engaging my services.

D

doug boardley

builder is technically correct - you can tile on to a existing floating floor if you take the necessary precautions -overboarding, checking load bearing capacity, etc. - but why he would specify a floating floor knowing the client wants tiles is a strange one. I'm with the rest of you on this - screed it should be.
how will overboarding negate any deflection in a floating floor?

C

ChrisKemp

Won't negate deflection and the type of 'floating floor' will determine what improvement in rigidity and control of local movement can be found. Worked with a german/turkish team last year in Sofia where existing floors were 22m TG chipboard, glued, overboarded with a 12mm construction cement board (could have been external aquapanel), and a 2 part flexible, adhesive used. It wasn't the first they had done - these were referrals from previous job in the same apartment block. Had a look at one they did two or three years before and it appeared to be holding up OK. But when its still at planning stage like the original post stated, its clearly better to get the client to specify screed.

R

redlee

Obviously its best if its screeded but if the builders dead set against it see if he'd be willing to put thin joists in to secure the chipboard, if not and you've pointed out the possible future problems to the customer and the builder and you can't afford to turn work down then i'd be inclined to do it.
I thought lateral movement of the whole floor rather than deflection was the problem with floating floors?

Reply to floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

kilty55

Arms
TF
edinburgh

Thread Information

Title
floating floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.