Discuss Floating floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
There's been two or three discussions on here about floating floors and wether they should or should not be tiled. Someone (maybe PJC?) suggested in one of the posts to put a laser level on the floor and see how walking around would effect the laser.

With a bit of time on my hands i got a chance to do a job at home that desperately needed doing. We have a converted garage (a half hearted effort of the previous owner i think) which i have been and intend to use as an office come workshop. However, when "someone" "converted" it, they did nothing with the floor except lay carpet down. Low and behold it's freezing out there!

So i set out to construct a floating floor to insulate and then lay some engineered maple over the top. I didn't bother to over engineer the floor. It is never intended to take tiles. But it's construction is perhaps typical of a general "floating floor". Simple bearers between a sheet of 50mm insulation. Timber was 63mm so i filled the rest of the cavities with some laminate underlay. Once flush with the timber i screwed tongue and groove chipboard over the top. I then layed a good quality, 14.8mm engineered maple (9mm ply, 5.8mm real maple) over the top.

2013-04-15 10.33.55.jpg 2013-04-15 13.13.46.jpg 2013-04-15 15.04.19.jpg

As i say, i didn't want to over engineer the floor and would hope that people will agree this could be what you'd call a typical installation of a floating floor. However, under foot it feels incredibly firm and solid. So, taking PJC's suggestion (hoping it was you) i set my laser up in the middle of the floor and fimed a short (very short) video of the laser when i walk into the room and around the general floor space.

[video=youtube_share;_IxvSlY5Yfk]http://youtu.be/_IxvSlY5Yfk[/video]

Would you tile it??

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Whitebeam to wall on the floor you wouldn't think it had any give at all. Although there was no overkill on the joists but the chipboard was screwed down.
But yeah she sure wobbled!

Mmmmm, interesting, could you do another test stood still and just bounce without leaving the floor just to prove that it's not vibration through the wood onto the laser and mount the laser on books on the floor instead of the wall.................fussy, ain't I lol

Thanks. :) Great these tests :)

I can do if you want. Give me a couple of days. Took delivery of a few kitchen units and work top today to create a desk come work bench area. Floors covered at the minute.

This video is currently Unavailable

Have you had another go? Worked ok for me on mobile.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floating floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am converting half of my garage into an office. I've put down a floating floor with...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm a DIYer so apologies if I get the terminology wrong etc I've started work remodeling...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB