UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss floor grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hiya Jamie,

I don't agree, if there's movement, you'd find grut cracking, maybe tiles even, as the adhesive is breaking up. That would mean the adhesive and the grout is wrong. Seems t me like the grout brushes out, if it's cracked and coming away it would come away in lines, but stuck together still, maybe even ith bits of tile stuck to it as it's got to be sticking to something somewhere. If it's brushing out, and the tiles are still sound, he couldhave used an adhesive for grout, as that's not a wearing surface, or grout has been applied like water, which would usually be pinted out by low grout joints that are discoloured even after you've washed up and cleaned off.

Thank's for joining in though :D I can see where you're coming from. Maybe just in case, you should 'sound' the tiles Leanne to make sure they're all fixed. maybe get some of the grout that's coming out and check that?

L

Leatherface

Could be the sand faries - they sometimes come out at night and sprinkle magic dust on the grout that makes it turn into sand !!! :)

Only joking - Leanne - If you are going to do the job, tell him that you will get the grout and he will give you the money - you need a good flexible grout. Sure the guys on this forum will recommend one. I only use Mapei , but am aware of others. What can you buy in your area.
Shouldn't be necessary to have to buy additive to make flexi.
Nick

L

Leatherface

Hi Leanne - I say again , if it isn't a good flexi grout, tell him you want to get your own - you as a Tiler need to start and stand your ground with the products you use. Poor results only reflect badly upon the person ( possibly you in this case ) who has done them.
I guess that your uncle is not paying you much for this job ? The least he can do is provide you with some decent grout :)
No offence meant, just good solid advice.

J

jaimie s

sounding the tiles is a option. knock along the tile, if it gives a hollow sound compared to a deading sound then maybe tiles are not fixed enough. but then this is only to determine if tiles are fixed good. and not how the substrate or grout is behaving. this is just my view and i have not been tiling as long as the pros on here. i think its best to consider all options then decide.

Reply to floor grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.