Discuss Floor Levels Out...HELP! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AKOTiler

Hi guys

hoping someone could advise me as to what needs doing on a job i am on. Its a long winded explanation so please bare with me.
The job is an insurance job. A pipe burst underneath the floor last year. The whole job has taken around 6 months and the family have had to be put up in a hotel whilst the work is carried out.
I got in there the other day and the workmanship of the previous tilers was ridiculously appalling. I was looking at a 20sqm kitchen floor with worktops, cooker, washing machine ect were all in place.
It was tiled in black quartz and had what i can describe as a wheelchair access into one half of the kitchen.
The floor sloped ridiculously over more than half of the room. 3 tiles had been popped up to expose a dotted and dabbed bed directly on plywood on the lower half of the room.
I was looking at the second time it had been laid. I was Disgusted !
Anyway long story short i requested everything to come out as it had been tiled before the kitchen was installed. That got done and the next day every appliance was removed.
me and a friend ripped up the floor what we found was baffling... the plywood sloped up 10mm over a distance of a 2 foot. The high spot for some reason had been built up with 2 x 10mm of levelling compounds. So i went to work and realised pretty quickly the floor hieght of the extension was built about 30 mm above the original house floor heights. hence the massive slope. Took floorboards up to expose joists and discovered 2 of the joists were 5mm too high. I plained them off about 5mm to make the floor flat again but now im dealing with the extension floors height. Am i right in presuming that the floor will need to be dug up to the hieght of the floor joists and then slc up to the same hieght of the plywood once its been screwed to the top of the floorboards?
There is a gas pipe under the floor and water pipe but they are a good 50mm deep and i dont think we will come into contact with them. To get the floor flat enough for the tiles he has chosen then i need it as flat as possible. As i say most of the room is level. where the extension meets both rooms in the house its too high.
Its about 5 sqm that is too high. I will try to attach pictures but if you cant wait pop over to my facebook page ( A.K.O Tiling Service's ) to have a look ...... i have a feeling the builder on the job isn't going to want to do it but I'm not happy with tiling it until it is done.
I want to make sure that when i lay it, it never comes back up and is exactly what the customer wants.
If i cant do that then i wont tile it.
What would you guys recommend needs doing to prepare this floor to good enough standards to tile. I appreciate any advice and i know its long winded so do please ask any questions you may have if you don't fully understand my dilemma.
Thanks In advance
AKOTILER

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor Levels Out...HELP! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB