Discuss Floor Tile on Floor Tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MartinH

Folks your help on this one would be appreciated....

Got a call from an oldish chap asking for a quote to tile his kitchen, but also saying that he wanted to tile on existing tile......ive been asked about this for wall tiles before but never floor tiles....As a new person to the trade, I have concerns but you may tell me otherwise....he was quite insistent that he didnt want existing taken up !

Existing floor is ceramic and new tiles are also ceramic...any advice, including run a mile! would be gratefully received !!

I

Ian

Dave I did say this but the guy wasnt in the advice mood - I dont want to turn the work down as its a sizeable job, but at same time I dont want to have to handle any repercussions that present themselves afterwards, and these old geezers are like "dogs with bones" when something goes a**e up !

If it's a decent size job can you fin a way of pricing the removal in? At the end of the day it's half a days work and a small skip to get rid of the old stuff so it might be worth doing it in your own time to get the job. It's your call mate!

Somerset
I hear everyone with admittedly more experience than me who suck their breath in and go "No, no, no" at the suggestion of tiling onto tiles. However, a little lateral thinking is necessary sometimes.

I personally would not tile over tiles on a wall because of the weight issues, but on a concrete screed floor, things can be different.

I recently had a customer who wanted an utility room and bathroom floor tiled. Both floors were already tiled, and the hallway they abutted onto was tiled with terracotta tiles that were between 10 and 15 mm higher than the other rooms floor! If I took the existing floor tiles off, then I would have been faced with building a concrete floor up to 18mm before tiling (to get the level floor area the customer wanted).

So I removed one floor tile in each room - 100% adhesive coverage. Then checked entire floor area for hollow spots. Cleaned both floors with Grimex, and tiled.

First off - is that really any different from tiling on a backer board?

Second - I will report back in 10 years as to whether the tiles are still OK.

M

MartinH

i agree with bri,it can be done but i wouldnt do it for the reasons mentioned

if its concrete cant you put a price in and add a few pounds....go in and gun the lot up when hes down the shops?:yikes::smilewinkgrin:

Kilty you can bet your bottom dollar and in true aging gentleman style, he'd be watching my each and every movement for the duration of the job as it would make a change from him having to watch "Cash in the Attic" or water his tomato plants !!

Reply to Floor Tile on Floor Tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Floor Tile on Floor Tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.