UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Floor tile repair in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lena

Greatly appreciate comments on the following:

We have a problem with noise in ground floor tiles laid in kitchen and hall about 20 months ago. The tiles give a loud “walking on sand” noise when stepped upon and some move very slightly. No tiles or grout are cracked or broken. The tiles sound hollow when tapped.

Floor make up: block & beam floor; 75mm celotex insulation; 75mm screed with fibers laid over underfloor heating (liquid); Detra-matting; Mythos Dorato ceramic tiles; flexible adhesive grout used.

Is there any way to repair the floor without lifting and relaying tiles? Is a “drill and resin fill under tiles” method effective? Are there any businesses in the UK using this method of repair?

Thank you very much.

A

Andrew Case

Hi Lena
And welcome to the forum.
I cannot help you on the resin fill - for me, i would lift and relay. It sounds like the tiles have either been Dot & dabbed in place or even if a full adhesive bed was laid, there wasnt 100% contact with the tiles. That would leave spaces underneath the tiles and its only a matter of time before cracks appear.
Depending on how big an area we are talking about, and how much you want to spend of course.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I too am of the sir ramic mind. It does not sound like a dot and dab and does not necessarily need to be lifted and re laid.there are companies who can resin inject between the grout lines and reinstate the bond with the floor. When you dismay ditra matting....this would be unusual as I am not aware of any failures with this mat. Do yo know what colour it was .... Blue, yellow, black this will tell us which manufacturer it was and give a clue as to whether it is another of quite a few failures on some of the mats.

T

Time's Ran Out

Charlie - the problems that are coming to light is with reference to some uncoupling membranes coming apart.
The story as I have been informed revolves around a German factory who manufactured the membrane having an issue with the glue/bonding of the 2 layers that form the mat.
The adhesive used; and in my ongoing case Weber, has fixed the mat to the floor and to the tile itself but the mat has come apart causing movement in the tiling and crunching under feet!
The repair process involves drilling 2mm holes through the grout and injecting a fluid epoxy resin which in turn flows through the gap in the membrane until a particular area is full, and is repeated across the whole floor. It's an expensive process to take on and will have to be cost effective to undertake!
The questions earlier asked with respect to the OP membrane and Ditra was because to my knowledge this is not one of the companies which have this problem.
I believe for this injection process to work the floor has to be in an almost perfect condition (apart from the noise) as the liquid flow will set under any undulations and set the tiles in that position when hardened.
In the contract that we undertook, not only has the movement caused tiles to 'lift' but 3 corners have been chipped and as there are only 4 spare tiles (600x600mm = 2mt+) to replace almost 10sq mts before any injection can be done is NOT an option.
It is understandably - ON GOING.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Never heard of resin injection but if I understand it right, the resin fills the void where the failure occured. What will stop this happening again and again? The most probable reason will be movment, in this case I can't see how injection of resin will fix long term imo

The bond between the resin and the interface materials is about 100 times stronger than the bond between adhesive and mat and mat to screed..... It's basically likes ticking your tiles down with araldite. I think dural have pretty much perfected the injection system although I understand they are still learning themselves.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tile repair in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am trying to match the grout joints of a century-old quarry tile entrance floor after...
Replies
Views
Robert Maldonato
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.