Discuss Floor tiles for new kitchen - advice sought..... in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

J

jhiker

Hi All,
First time poster in this tiling forum and I'm looking for some advice please.

I need to buy floor tiles for a 3mx3m kitchen as part of a kitchen refit. I'm getting a builder to do the work.
He has an account with Topps and has told me I can use his discount. We want black or grey and I think I'd like to go for porcelain based on what I've read.

I saw some 30x60 Pompeii Black porcelain tiles in a friend's house the other day and they look very nice, if a little expensive at £40/m2.

I checked them out at the Topps website...
( I can't post the URL or I get a 'post denied' message when I submit it(.
..and was baffled by this statement....
'These semi polished tiles have been created using the latest inkjet technology, giving a true representation of a natural stone...'
Ink jet? Are they printed and glazed, or something? It's kinda put me off...

Anyway, I'm looking for 10.5m2 of 30x30, 40x40 or 30x60cm tiles, probably black, with a smooth (satin/matt?) finish but not glossy polished.
I'm not keen on the riven/textured/rustic examples that I've seen.

Quality wise, is there anything in particular I should look for - 8.5/9mm thick?
Any first-hand recommendations would be most welcome - I'm considering Topps/Tile Giant/Walls & Floors, etc. - There seems to be quite a variation in the sq/m prices - It's also difficult to imagine how an entire floor will look based on a 1"x1" thumbnail.

I will go and look, of course, I probably just need to shortlist a few options.
Thanks!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You'd be able to post URL's once you've got 10 posts or more. It's an anti-spam thing.
Guessing this is the URL?

Pompeii Black | Topps Tiles

Porcelain is man made so any type of tile that's porcelain will have been through a process to make it look like stone or ceramic or whatever.

Inkjet does sound like they print the pattern on before firing the tile. So yeah, basically you're right. But don't let that put you off them as procelain are tough tiles and very decent for floors. Stone can be high maintenance in comparison and often more expensive to buy and install.

I do prefer the look of stone myself though, seems to be something that never gets dated as with most natural materials.

Order some samples and take a look yourself at them to see what you prefer.
Any porcelain will be tough as long as it is fully vitrified (porcelain straight the way through and not just a porcelain glaze on a dust/clay backing). So 8.5mm or 11mm should be about the same strength really.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tiles for new kitchen - advice sought..... in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB