UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss floor Tiling over tiles . . . help me please.!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nozzer

Hi . . .

I have a tiled kitchen floor. the ceramic tiles are 300 x 300mm. They are rock solid. I have another tile (330 x3300)and I want to tile over the old ones. The internet suggests loads of different things, but all very different. Should I. . .

1) Sugar soap the old tiles.
2) Take a grinder to the old tiles, and grout to scratch them up? (If so, how much) ?
3) Paint the old tiles with BAL primer (If so, which primer and how many coats) ?
4) Use a flexible adhesive / grout ?

I look forward to anyones help / comments

Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If I was tiling a wall or a floor over existing tiles, it would have to be a floor. If a failure occurred at least I'm stubbing my toe and not having tiles fall on me in a shower.

As above. I'd remove if you can. Good thing with knowing they're fixed will is you know your substrate is strong so an SDS hammer drill should lift those tiles up quite easily as you can give it some welly.

Though if you are tiling on tile, as above with the slurry etc.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If it's concrete and they've been down a while. My guess is it would be very solid. You'd have already had issues a long time ago if concrete was involved. It's strengthens over time and peaks at about 25 years is it? Then starts to devalue (over again about the same length of time it takes to strengthen). Plaster being about 10 years is it?

(Years here are defo wrong but that gives you some info on how it works I think?????? - Need the professionals correct me here)

N

nozzer

If I was tiling a wall or a floor over existing tiles, it would have to be a floor. If a failure occurred at least I'm stubbing my toe and not having tiles fall on me in a shower.

As above. I'd remove if you can. Good thing with knowing they're fixed will is you know your substrate is strong so an SDS hammer drill should lift those tiles up quite easily as you can give it some welly.

Though if you are tiling on tile, as above with the slurry etc.

Thanks Dan.

This 'slurry' you mention. . . is it literally dry cement powder mixed with primer (No sand / water) ?

B

Bubblecraft

Hope your existing tiles aren't put down like this
5acb1b22-915e-32d6.jpg

IMO, remove if possible. If your existing tiles are fitted correctly, I'd use a 2 part flexi adhesive & a GT1 mix in with your grout. Sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to floor Tiling over tiles . . . help me please.!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.