Discuss Fresh gyproc tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

G1zm0

Hi
Glad to b back on this awesome forum, about 4 years ago I tiled my bathroom, I used 6mm ply and bal 1 part flexible adhesive, and had not given me any problems.
Now im changing out the bath for a shower unit.
I've taken the floor tiles up, but still cement on the ply.
And taken the gyproc off the walls (easier and wall got damaged)

I'm laying new floor (moisture resistant t&g), then going to over lay it with no more ply.
The walls im using moisture resistant gyproc.

1}when I instal the gyproc, do I have to tape and use joint compound/finisher , or can I just use the adhesive instead of that, and tile over the joints?.

2)what should I use to hang mosaic and rectangle ceramic tiles and floor.

3} is there a bal/mapi that will do all 3 tiles ?

Also I'm left with some old tile adhesive on a small wall (about 20 small tiles worth), whats best way to get it off ?

Any suggestions welcome.

R

RDTiling

Hi G1zmo

I'm quite new tiler but hopefully my answer will help you a bit (I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong).

for the Gyproc, I would tape over the joints before tiling. It is up to you whether you prime the gyproc before you tile with a acrylic primer. There have many discussions on here about whether you should or shouldn't prime. For complete peace of mind I'd recommend you prime.

(Also if the gyproc is in the shower unit area, I'd recommend tanking it first)

For hanging your tiles, I tend to use Weber Rapid SPF. It can be used on both walls and floors. I've not dabbled with mapei adhesives and I find Bal can be quite pricey. The weber adhesive would be suitable for all three type of tile as far as I'm aware.

Finally, if the area you are left with tile is going to be retailed, then you can either carefully try to remove the old adhesive or knock it out with a bolster chisel and hammer. This will make a 'dent' in the wall (assuming its a concrete wall!) If so, you can mix up a bit extra rapid set, fill the 'dent', wait for it to set and then tile over it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fresh gyproc tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB