Discuss Garage Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Hiya Ath.
Good plan coming on here asking before you start, you'll get all the answers you need!
Starting with the tiles i'd advise you go for a fully vitrified tile, this can be ceramic or porcelain. Fully Vit means it's frost proof so won't absorb any water which could freeze and damage the tile. The cold itself shouldn't do any harm to the tiles, so no worries there. Also i'd ask the supplier for at least a grade 5 glaze. This is a commercial glaze and you'll know that they won't wear. Go to a good tile supplier, and ask that the tiles all come from the same production batch, this should avoid size and shade variations.
Then the next vital step is the fixing, these have to be solid bedded, meaning that the tiles have 100% adhesive coverage between the tile and the floor. This serves a few purposes, one being that any voids will be a weak spot and could crack if loaded, also it any water from rain of mopping could eventually collect in these voids, these can freeze and lift the tiles during cold winters.
Use a good quality adhesive such as Mapei, Weber or Bal, and use a modified grout, as these are more resiliant to oils etc that you may find in a garage.

The tiling itself is not really any different from interior work, but i would advise getting an experienced floor tiler for this job as he will fix them correctly, this avoids problems later.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Garage Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Good evening. It's been a while.. I always visit when I need reliable advice, this is the most...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I am looking to tile my kitchen floor with 600x600 porcelain tiles and am not sure if I...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB