UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Garage/Workshop floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

golfer1047

Hi,
living in France. I have converted part of my existing garage into a kitchen, and now have the remainder of the garage which is used as a workshop/utility room. Floor area is 8m x 5m, and is concrete painted some years ago with garage floor paint, now wearing thin !!
The center section of 8m x 3.5m is level, but the 2 "outside" strips, about 75 cm wide each, actually drop to the side walls by about 10mm.
I want to tile the entire area.
Can I get away with using more tile cement to "level out" the surface or what would the "experts" reccomend.
Do I need to cover the painted concrete with a PVA solution before tiling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As above. Remove the paint. Level the floor using self-levelling compound. Use an actual primer and NOT PVA.

PVA breaks back down when wet and becomes useless. Should never be used in the tiling world. Plasterers use it but not tilers.

Oh, and take some before and after shots for us? We love pictures of tiling projects :)

G

golfer1047

Thanks guys for the info ........ especially ref PVA , I've actually used that before when I re-tiled over old tiles. Nothing has moved so far, fingers crossed. !!!

Not used self levelling compound before ............. I'll have to check out the actual levels first, I have to do it in 2 stages because of all the stuff in the room, freezers, fridges and tools. No room to move it elsewhere, so I'll have to do it in 2 halves.

I have some quite heavy woodworking machinery I am installing and am concerned about cracking the tiles if I don't have a solid base for them.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Garage/Workshop floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.