UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Geometrics, which supplier???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wadkin1

Hi Guys

I had a look at a job today for which the client wants a complicated design copied similar to that of a Grassmere from the amount of information i could gather online, or at least that is the closest i could find to it. My question is, is there a supplier producing square edge geometrics? the ones i have seen all have a bevel on the top edge which i read in another post was to prevent chipping in the manufacturing process and which is then in turn marketed as being for safety reasons to reduce cuts from sharp edges:mad2:

Anyway i have looked at and seen the Olde English/Orginal Features? and Original style ones both of which have the arris which is not wanted if at all possible, and i know of Maw & Co but never seen any of their products and they seem very short of words and information when i contacted them last week. Has anyone used their products? are they a true square edge or if not is there any such thing available these days. i did also see them mentioned in another post where someone had problems with chipped and warped tiles and from the thread they were not protrayed as having great custmer skills.

in essence, what recommendations would you make for suppliers other than trying to find reclaims.

Hope someone can point me to a suitable source. Or if not and the choice is between Original Style or Olde English what are your experiences, i note that Olde English make a point of clearly stating that theirs are fully vitified and must not be sealed externally and original style state they are vitified and should be sealed externally, so what is the best product out there currently? price is not a concern, the quality of product is what matters.

Cheers

Andy

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
The last Original Style tiles I used had square edges, I believe they no longer make tiles in the uk any more
P1020329.jpg

C

cracks

I think they never produced these geometric floor tiles themselves. It would require a highly technical and big factory, which they don´t have. they actually have handpainting of kitchen tiles, hand screen printing of decorated floor tiles, their own moulding department and a glazing department for various wall tiles. Wall tiles they glaze and fire a last time, but the actual tile is from other suppliers. Although the real square edges match best the victorian original, they cause nowadays issues, as they are too sharp for barefoot use. The Victorian Original´s have been tiled with no or nearly no grouting. Today a 2mm grouting is recommended. Perhaps where the Victorians just better

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I think they never produced these geometric floor tiles themselves. It would require a highly technical and big factory, which they don´t have. they actually have handpainting of kitchen tiles, hand screen printing of decorated floor tiles, their own moulding department and a glazing department for various wall tiles. Wall tiles they glaze and fire a last time, but the actual tile is from other suppliers. Although the real square edges match best the victorian original, they cause nowadays issues, as they are too sharp for barefoot use. The Victorian Original´s have been tiled with no or nearly no grouting. Today a 2mm grouting is recommended. Perhaps where the Victorians just better

Hi cracks, I doubt the Victorian tilers were any better than the guys who do geometic work today ( some good, some not so good).

The way original tiles were laid was the same method I was taught as an apprentice. We fixed quarries in the same way, they would lay a wet screed 3:1 sand and cement, sometimes using a lime mix. This wet screed would be laid to required levels, then the tiles would be placed and beaten flat, causing the sand and cement to rise through the joint forming the grout, some would spread dryers (bone dry mix)
to soak up excesswater. I hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Geometrics, which supplier???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic! One...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.