Discuss Getting rid of plasterboard in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Posted this on the plumbers forum too.

Every bathroom I do, I always allow for a skip. They have been warning for a few months that no plasterboard is allowed.
i have been putting small off cuts in, and this skip was no exception.
Had a large skip picked up today and received a call when they picked it up. I was warned before they came that any plasterboard would be bagged and returned or charged for, because the tip where they take all the non recyclable will not take it.
by the way I am friends with the skip company owner.
anyway, when they sorted it, in there was about a builders large bag of plasterboard. So they are now charging me £45 disposal fee! On top of the £180 skip.
i understand that they now have to sort this into a hazardous waste skip. But what do I do next time?

Tell customer to to get rid themselves, but tip won't take it.
pay extra for a separate plasterboard skip!
bury in in a field?
fly tip?

they are not making it easy to get rid of!
If this hasn't happened to you yet. Mark my words it will.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Plasterboard IS now classed as a recyclable material and is no longer accepted as landfill waste , so they ask you bag it separate and then it is recycled ... It's not a hazardous waste .

this is from British gypsum site . http://www.british-gypsum.com/about...vironmental-challenges/plasterboard-recycling

[h=3]New guidance on the disposal of gypsum[/h]As part of The Landfill Directive, the Environment Agency previously allowed construction waste that contained small amounts of gypsum (the main constituent of plasterboard) to be sent to landfill. This was known as the 10% rule.
On April 1st 2009, the 10% guidance was removed governing the disposal of gypsum. Gypsum, the main raw material for plasterboard, is a sulphate but is classified as non-hazardous. Under the new regulations, waste containing gypsum can no longer be mixed with biodegradable waste at a standard landfill site. This change in regulation applies to waste containing identifiable gypsum-based materials, such as plasterboard, thermal laminates, glass reinforced gypsum (GRG), plasters, cove and ceiling tiles.

the skip comps around here do take it but it must be bagged separately .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Getting rid of plasterboard in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

L
Right, I'm going to get shot down asking such a question. I'm doing 2 bathrooms in a house...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
R
I lost a large job on price, the client who I've been doing other work for has asked if I can...
2 3
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C
J
Hi, we have a woodburning stove inset into a chimney breast and the previous owner has had the...
Replies
Views
J
Just started a job with large 900 x600 x20 mm hard honed limestone. The tiles were separated by...
Replies
Views
jonnyc
J
G
Hello all, Right...the Wife and I have just bought a right old project so funds are low, so I...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB