UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Getting started in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Falcone

I will shortly be doing the NETT course (next month sometime I reckon) and have a question about starting off once the course is done.

I'll still be working full time at my current employer and was thinking on doing tiling at the weekends until I get myself up and running etc. The thing is, if some jobs are going to take 3-4 maybe 5 days to do how will I be able to do this if I'm only doing weekends until I can get "compressed" shifts at my current employer?

(by compressed shifts I mean reducing my hours to 30 and and doing 10hour shifts mon, tues, wed so I could concentrate on tiling thurs fri sat sun if needs be)

Is there any way round this? i.e could I do long shifts on the weekend jobs to get it done in 2 days? would customers let me come back the weekend after to finish?

thanks in advance...

F

Fekin

I currently work shifts in a power station, 2days on then 2 nights and then have 4 days off and do my tiling jobs on my 4 days.
If you only have weekends that you can tile on, then either be honest to the customer and say you also work on another job mon to fri and tile weekends, so a 4 day job would be over 2 weekends to complete, which there are some people on here that do exactly that and don't have any problems.
Or tell a porkie to the customer and say "yes I can do your bathroom no problems, but Im quite booked up at the moment, but I can get the job finished for you over 2 weekends, just for you" and they'll most probably be chuffed that you are willing to work your "only days off" to do their bathroom or whatever.

F

Falcone

Thanks, was speaking to one of ma boss's today and he said it'll be difficult getting my shifts compressed to 3 10 hour shifts. :sad_smile:

Will maybe just have t go part time once I've done a few friends and family etc.

Gonna do my own bathroom walls and floor, ma kitchen floor needs done to and my brother needs full bathroom done, i'll convice him his kitchen needs done aswell haha... my mums kitchen floor need redone coz ther's a few cracked, i'll talk her into that too lol...

G

GatesheadCol

Falcone,

You could say your working for a someone else at the minute. and are in the process of trying to branch out on your own. Thats the line Ive used (although granted its for saying Ive been tiling for a few years and worked for soeone else b4 taking the plunge myself)

Or you could just say your realy busy , but I could fit you in over 2 weekends if its a few days job etc,.

R

Ric

its a really good question! i work full time self-employed cleaner. Every second Friday free and will soon have shortened Monday. If the tiling takes off its going to be difficult juggling both jobs. I know what i'd rather be doing but getting enough work in to pull the plug on the cleaning is the key. Guess it's down to getting out there in spare time and marketing yourself to death. I plan to hit the property development companies and try to get regular work. good luck from me to anyone making the change.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Getting started in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.