Discuss Getting started? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

WR Landscaping

Hey all, im a relative newcomer to tiling as I only have about a years experience of it but have done a lot of tiling in that time and I come from a landscaping background so understand level and setting out of floor from my paving days.

Im trying to get on a course for stone work which will give me some more knowledge as I have only done ceramic until now and some slate. But then what can I do?

I guess I need to get a cscs card and try and get on sites bashing work out? or maybe a local company take me on?

Any of you guys had this before or even helped somebody out like that?

Cheers, Will

A

AMtek

I would offer tiling alongside your landscaping business or set up a tiling business in its own right and run it alongside the landscaping. Google places is good for getting work if your high up on the list but people might be wary about having a landscaper do any tiling for them. There aren't any shortcuts to getting work in, it takes a lot of time and effort to build your reputation which will then lead to work. Site work can be very meterage oriented and a lot of site bashers will try and get the most meters on in a day with acceptable standards but private work should be a case of get the job done perfectly and don't worry if it takes a bit longer than planned

C

charlie1

Hi WR, depends on what type of tiling you want to do, low end high volume or high end low volume. If you are high end then put together a portfolio and target potential customers, simply drop in to places and have a chat with owner about what you can do for them and treat them like your friend. As previously said, its tough out there ( apparently) so you will ether need to be exceptionally good or cheap but no matter what one you are, you will need to be able to build relationships and work with people! I've seen average tilers do better than egotistical above average guys if you know what i mean. Every day is an experience and you should learn something from it, goodluck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Getting started? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB