Discuss Glass tiles cracked in kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

msg2004

Hello

bought 3mm thich and 200x100mm glass tiles and had fitted in kitchen around June time last year. Had stainless steel tile edging fitted as well that is about 10mm deep. Tiler had to build up tile glue to bring out tiles to meet the trim. initially one tile cracked and few days later another tn few weeks after many more and now nearly all of them especially over hob.

The builder who claims to be insured initially said he would re-do and not once mentioned cost, now wants 2-3 days money to re-do. The supplier of tiles via internet purchase is saying they have sold many thousands of tiles and no problems.

The tile used Bal fixing glue I think. (Got the company that did the kitchen and tiles from Mybuidler and I have not yet left feedback - he's got 100% feedback but las lot was July 2012) (Only about 3 msq of tiles - who much would that cost to re-fit if we took down our-self, ie cost of fitting only is the other option I'm thinking of.

Where do I stand, who is at fault? Also an approx idea re cost of labour for re-tiling approx 3 msq - into window,over hob and one tile high over work surface and metal tile trim.

As you can see I lose out as tile supplier is saying its not him and now the fitter has changed tune and want 2/3 days money - not mentioned how much and won't ask. I feel as though I have been cheated out of several hundred pounds.

(I will leave feedback on MyBuilder after conclusion)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bubblecraft

Hi. Sorry to hear of your problem. If he has admitted fault & that he is insured, this should be fixed free of charge.

If you could post some pictures up, it would be most helpful.

Unfortunately, My Builder, My Hammer, Rated People etc are a what a con & the sooner customers realise this the better. This says nothing about a builder/contractor/Tiler etc. They pay for the privilege to get your lead...that's it.

You should not be removing the tiles. This should be done by the builder who has wrecked it in the first place. You take the chance of causing further damage by removing the tiles where your builder can say that it is not left in the state that he left it. We also do not discuss prices on the open forum.

M

msg2004

Hello all

thank you all and will get my son to do pics weekend or soon after.

The 10mm trim used as it looked good.

Yes 3mm tiles are bit to think but was caught out as mother-in-law passed away few days building works to start do bought from the net.

tilers used BAL tubbed, ready prepared glue.

The walls had been skimed.

tiles around boiler pieprs covered by boxing in using ply not split

Most are split by the gas hob.

I feel cheated, the builder I used from MyBuilder was indicating all along he would re-do and never once mentioned costs. He said he is insured, most likely for if the hosue fell down but not mistakes like this.

Re My Builder, don't think they allow negative comments to be posted? I will give this bloke a chance and may even pay some of the money for labour but see how he reacts - he said not his fault, tile supplier says not his fault, and I know it was not my fault

If that was me ie the builder I would have resovled - I think we kept him sweet as we did intend to get more works done, but as costs were more than anticiapted we have delayed, possibly his stance.

Thank you and I will update - the replacement tiles are gloss black 6mm 200x100mm but not glass as have had enough of the problem.

Depending on the manufacturer of the tile there are two things to check - should he have used powdered adhesive instead of ready mix and do the fitting instructions mention a minimum distance from the hob? We wanted a glass splashback and that said it had to be 11cm away from hob. If this was stated but ignored then I would chase the builder. If you bought of the net aren't you covered by your credit card provider?

D

DHTiling

Hello all

thank you all and will get my son to do pics weekend or soon after.

The 10mm trim used as it looked good.

Yes 3mm tiles are bit to think but was caught out as mother-in-law passed away few days building works to start do bought from the net.

tilers used BAL tubbed, ready prepared glue.

The walls had been skimed.

tiles around boiler pieprs covered by boxing in using ply not split

Most are split by the gas hob.

I feel cheated, the builder I used from MyBuilder was indicating all along he would re-do and never once mentioned costs. He said he is insured, most likely for if the hosue fell down but not mistakes like this.

Re My Builder, don't think they allow negative comments to be posted? I will give this bloke a chance and may even pay some of the money for labour but see how he reacts - he said not his fault, tile supplier says not his fault, and I know it was not my fault

If that was me ie the builder I would have resovled - I think we kept him sweet as we did intend to get more works done, but as costs were more than anticiapted we have delayed, possibly his stance.

Thank you and I will update - the replacement tiles are gloss black 6mm 200x100mm but not glass as have had enough of the problem.

That is what i thought ... wrong tile type for the use required...

S

SJPurdy

the first problem here is the bad specification of the trim depth (10mm) with tiles that are only 3mm thick. this means that the adhesive thickness will be 7mm! A ready mixed adhesive (Dispersion type) sets by loosing moisture which it can't through glass tiles and so moisture can only be lost through the joints and will have taken ages ( a reason that you would avoid using a dispersion adhesive with medium/large glass tiles even at the correct (maximum 3mm usually) thickness). A modified cement based adhesive sets by chemical reaction and so doesn't need to dry out to harden and is hence more often specified with glass tiles but then again it should only be used on walls with a thin bed (~3mm) of adhesive. When an adhesive sets it creates a strong pulling force on the tiles which is sufficient to visibly bend large tiles when thicker beds of adhesive are encountered (eg on uneven floors). With 3mm thick glass tiles on a 7mm bed of adhesive I think that you are likely to be seeing the effect of this pulling force breaking the tiles especially in the area around the hob where additional heat induced stresses will also be present.
If wanting to fit thin tiles with a thick trim as in this instance then rather than bed out the tiles with thick adhesive a thin tile backer board (eg 4mm) should have been fixed to the walls before the tiles but after the trim had been fitted. Personnaly I would also want some recommendation from the tile manufacturer as to how to fit them as at 3mm thick they are outside of my comfort zone.
The type of insurance that most tradesmen have is public liability which covers things like accidental damage. Some may have additional product liability which will cover them for things that they are buying in and selling on to the customer. I dont think many (at tradesmen level) will have external insurance to cover their own workmanship but i may be corrected on this!
Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Glass tiles cracked in kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen floor tiled in large plank-style porcelain tiles (90cm x 15cm) about 2 years...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was hoping to get some input/help on this situation. Background: We had 12 x 24"...
Replies
Views
In about 2-3 weeks after we got our bathroom fitted we noticed that the grout cracked along one...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB