Discuss Glass tiles cutting advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

heathmount

Hi

I have previously tiled with ceramic tiles but this is my first foray into the world of glass tiles. I'd be grateful for any tips or advice on what I'm planning to do with regards to cuts.

The tiles I have chosen are Fired Earth, the Liquid Glass range. They are 8mm thick and have a painted back. Being an occasional tiler I have no cutting tools so I plan to buy a Geared Diamond Wheel cutter and glass cutting blade from topps tiles along with a manual cutter for scoring. The idea is then to score the tile on the front and then cut with the wheel.

Topps tiles said to score on both the front and back of the tile whereas the Fired Earth website says to score only the front. I'll chose the website advice over the shop advice but is there reason not to score the back?
Is it necessary to tape the tile once it's been scored? How can I cut down the score line if I've taped over it!?
For L shaped cuts is it necessary to drill out a hole at the corner of the L first? The corners should all be hidden by socket covers so if they're slightly ragged I don't mind.
I've read that some people have problems with the paint chipping off the back of the tile which then can be seen through the glass. Is there a way to stop this happening or is it down to the quality of the tools and the tiles?

Lots of questions I know but I'm grateful for any advice.

thanks
Gordon

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
No need to drill out the corners on L shaped cuts,but if you are cutting L shaped cuts with a wet cutter be aware you might inadvertently 'over cut' the underside of the tile. And this may be visible from the face of the tile.(In my case I didnt realise until I was buffing up the tiles)

Yep...been there too....lol

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Glass tiles cutting advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB