UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Go for better quality? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IvegotsTILE

I'm finishing my current job in a couple of weeks and going on a course at NE Tiling,I'm planning on giving the tiling a proper crack and giving it everything no half measures.I've set aside a decent amount of money and think I'm better off getting the high quality equipment with brands like Rubi.
Do you guys in the know think this is the right way to go?I don't see the point in shelling out for mediocre equipment only to have to replace it with the proper stuff in a few months.As one guy says on here 'You get what you pay for!'

If I'm after a whole set of tools can any of you pros tell me what are the best tools to buy.

Since I'll be buying so much at once is there anywhere you could recommend where they would do me a deal for a fairly big order of tools?

Everyones comments are appreciated,thanks Simon:wink_smile:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
L

Leatherface

Start off with a good selection of trowels - as advised by your course tutor, good spirit level, nippers, wet cutter - as expensive as you can afford ( I started off wit B&Q special then upgraded later) Good rubi - suggest TS60 PLUS. Find your feet and decide what extras you need as you go along. Trade tiler will deliver most items next day anywhere if you are stuck - also good set of hole saws if you can afford - suggets Armeg - will set you back around £180.00 - cuts through anything. A must for a professional finish around pipework.

M

M D HUGHES

I havent been at it for long mate and would advise to get your basics first rather than spend a fortune on stuff you might never get around to using or find something you prefer once you have a bit of knowledge on what techniques and tools you prefer and the pros and cons of the more expensive gear. I've spent £800 to £900 on what I need to get jobs done. I'm starting to check out other bits of kit on the market now, bits n bobs I think I may prefer to use rather than what I've got or may just make the process easier or cleaner. But I have just got the basics at the mo. It can be pretty quiet until you get your approach together so all the pennies count over the initial starting out period.

L

Leatherface

I would not spend to much on tools at the moment, just get the basics, i would get a rubi tile cutter, but my wet cut came from screwfix and it works perfect. The best tool i bought was the the diamond blade for a 4inch angle grinder from tradetiler i use it all the time when tiling bathroom saves running up and down. good luck

What does the customer think about you creating loads of dust with your grinder ? Not very professional - you would not get away with that in many people houses.

C

Concept PHT

I would not spend to much on tools at the moment, just get the basics, i would get a rubi tile cutter, but my wet cut came from screwfix and it works perfect. The best tool i bought was the the diamond blade for a 4inch angle grinder from tradetiler i use it all the time when tiling bathroom saves running up and down. good luck

Use the bath as a work bench, obviously covered with dustesheets / blankets etc.

Or do what I do - a pair of folding saw horses and a nice peice of chipboard. Instant workbench that you can get your wet cutter, Rubi and tools on that sits nicely on the landing.

Angle grind for large floors only for me :)

D

Deleted member 1779

One comment: We get a lot of tilers coming to us to buy kit because of theft on jobs.

So if you have nice shiney new kit look after it.

We are amazed at how much theft from vans and job sites goes on. We get calls daily from tilers desperate for kit to replace expensive kit left overnight in vehicles etc.

I was in Swiss Cottage the other week on a job and one of the guys had a battery drill taken from the back of his van.

He arrived on site and only came inside for 5 mins to say hello and have a coffee. Went out and it was gone !

And try to avoid lending your kit. I now engrave all mine using a hot poker to etch my postcode so I can identify it on site. A lot of people borrow my stuff then forget to hand it back. Its not expensive kit its just screwdrivers, steps, buckets and tape measures, and I dont think they are deliberately trying to nick it they just dont think about it.

Oh and I always alarm my car and bring my gear in at night. Its time consuming but its necessary.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Go for better quality? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, No doubt a simple question for many so hoping for some advice. I'm at a complete loss...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.