Discuss Going it alone!? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DGJ

I'm looking for some advice, I've always wanted to start up on my own one day and I've decided that hopefully within the next year - 18 months I'm going to take the jump and go for it. BUT I'm looking for some advice on where to start it all???

I've been working for my uncles company since leaving school 12 years ago, firstly at the bottom as a gofer up to where I am now one of the more 'senior' ( through experience ) fitters there, we fit mostly wet rooms but i have over the years fitted numerous bathrooms ect.

I have thought about asking the uncle if I could have the addresses of certain people I've done work for over the years ( and have had letters ect from ) from the work database and sending some sort of letter, saying 'I was the fitter who completed the work I'm starting up on my own here is my number so if your or friends family want any pluming, tiling ect work done then please keep me in mind' obviously better worded and more professional than that, just to TRY and start a small customer base up????

I'm under illusion that I'd be a millionaire and understand times would be very hard for a long time, but I'm thinking soon rather than later would be best, before kids come along??

Van and tools would be no problem so would save on paying out for those

Any advice ( good or bad :) ) would be very helpful and please done hold back ;)

P.S although I've done a few jobs for family and friends over the years because I've been lucky to have work with my uncles company and he has been busy for the years I've been there I haven't really got much experience of pricing work ect and wouldn't know where to start on that? And wouldn't really want to ask the uncle as most of not all of our work is through grants and councils?

Like I say any advice would be great, and sorry for such a long post and hopefully I've started this thread in the correct section

Thanks, Dai

D

DGJ

Hi Andy and cheers for the quick reply

I don't think so, because 99% of his work is through council grants ect and big contracts, we very very rarely get repeat home owner customers. They are showers for disabled or less able/elderly people, along with hoists vertical lifts and stair lifts. I'm looking to do bathroom ect for homeowners and thought a way of getting a small customer base is to send a letter or something similar to the people I have worked for, knowing it would be very doubtful they would pay for work but maybe family members ect would?????

What do you think?

And again thanks for the quick reply

D

DGJ

Thanks John

Yes go's without saying, what ever decision I make he would be one of the first to know, but I'm still feeling the water at the moment of the idea.

Strange as it may seem I'm not interested in taking over from him when he finally calls it a day ( he knows this ) It's a rather large company and he hasn't been on the tools for over 20 years now and that's just not for me + the type of work ( although I am very great full to have it ) is very one dimensional as its only for a certain sector

P.S I should add I'm not looking to undercut him, take away any potential work as I would be looking to go I. A complete different direction, also anything I would do would have to have his blessing as he has been a great boss for me. But he does know that one day I have always wanted to a different direction and go it alone and I'm sure he would help me with advice, but just wanted to put the question out there as the more advice the better

Thanks for the advice

B

bugs183

Hi DG.
I've been self employed for over 20 years now and i'll be totally honest here, if you're uncle is a good sort to work for (which he sounds) i'd stick with him, but as Timeless J says maybe sit him down and talk through your ideas with him, tell him you don't want to leave but you feel you have ideas that could help the business grow. He may be more open to changing the company profile than you think, if he's not then it's up to you to decide how you want to play it.
I've never known being self employed to be so difficult as it is at the moment. Yes the work and the phone is quieter. But more so it's the jobs you get that are hard to keep up with the customers demands. You can price one week and then find they've chosen a completely different tile, be it size type and suitability for the substrate, things have also become very complicated with the advent of large/piggin massive format tiles, underfloor heated screeds, anhydrite screeds etc. The job could be spec as one thing and then is totally changed on its head. These problems can be overcome, but at whose cost financially or time wise.

I'd honestly say that if it works well with your uncle then stick with him, but show a definite interest in the business itself and show you are keen to help with that side of things. Learning this side of the business in my opinion is essential to being self employed, and if you have the opportunity see learn then i'd certainly do that.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Going it alone!? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB