Discuss Going rate for tiler in Glasgow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

I personally have expectation of what I should earn in a day regardless of whats involved but thats what works best for me mate. (no set rules)

I would be looking at charging around £30 for stone and the same for porcs in most cases if sealing etc is required. If the porcelain is gonna be an easy job I will do it for less.

9 times out of ten I dont even give a mtr price, I always preffer to charge a fixed price that I base on how many day I think the work will take.

In my experience it tends to be other tradesmen and insurance contractors etc that try to pin me donw to a sqm price. I always avoid it where possible

T

tfs

the price would be different in both cases, I try not to give two prices. This is generally a customer clrearly trying to find out how much you can get materials etc.

This can make it hard to make money on materials, unless you have no problem in making it clear to the customer that you are making something off the materials.

Again this is just my opinion and the way I preffer to work. I will always supply adhesive and grout but would only consider supplying tiles if I were t make a decent profit by doing so.

Positive Cash flow is an essential part of my business and I will not put out large sums of cash unless it will benefit me by way of healthy profit.

S

Stewart

i think that was piont tfs was making, when you quote a job for 'x' amount of pounds, and the customer asks how long will the job take, you say about 4 days.....you finish it in 3 days ,and they expect a discount....

Lol... It doesn't read that way to me!

IMO you either give a day rate with an estimate of how many days it will take.

You give an estimate for the works to be carried out, but it's only an estimate.

You give a metre rate....

Or my favourite.... You give a fully itemised quote for works which is set in stone. You can only charge extra for works not on the quote and only if discussed with the customer before the extra work has been carried out!

Created on iPhone.....

T

tfs

Thats exactly what I meant Andya mate!

I work it out based on how many days I think it will take,

I need to earn £600 a week to make my effort worth while due to fuel, insurances, advertisement etc as well as all the time we spend working the non productive hours (quotes, banking any payments, going to the suppliers for prices etc)

So if I think a jobs gonna take four days I would quote £480 if I finnisht the job in three I still want £480, I dont tell my customers ' I will do it for a day rate' I just calculate my price based on a day rate.

Thats the point I was trying to make fellas!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

i'll give a quote based on worse case scenario, i may still give an estimate of how long the job may take me and if i do it a day quicker then i still charge the quoted price

thats the way I alway preffer to do it, it can work in your favour if you get it done quick but at the same time, I would not want to ask a customer for more money if it takes me a bit longer.

Most dommestic customers dont want to pay a day rate anyway, they preffer to know what it will cost before they let you start work.

M

Mike

thats the way I alway preffer to do it, it can work in your favour if you get it done quick but at the same time, I would not want to ask a customer for more money if it takes me a bit longer.

Most dommestic customers dont want to pay a day rate anyway, they preffer to know what it will cost before they let you start work.
i don't think it would be right to ask for more money because you've underpriced the job, it would be a case of biting the bullet and learning from it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Going rate for tiler in Glasgow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Sam here. I've been a tiler in Sydney, Australia for 22 years and looking to migrate to...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Going rate for tiler in Glasgow
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.