Discuss Going to my first quotation....any advice appreciated. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hey guys.

I'm going round to look at a friends bathroom and kitchen, as they would like to replace both rooms flooring with tiles. I've not seen the rooms yet, as they have just moved house, however I am led to believe that there are floorboards underneath the current floor coverings in both rooms. These will be my first paid tiling jobs.

The bathroom currently has a carpet on the floor, and they are only looking to replace the flooring but keep the bathroom furniture.

The level of the bath is already set, therefore when I overply the floors, this will raise the floor level and then tiling on top of this will raise the level again.

Also, they have asked me to regrout their walls tiles, just to freshen them up a bit. Without discussing actual prices as we are in the open forum, would you charge a metre square rate or a half day/ day rate to regrout? If it is a metre square rate would something like 25% of your metre square to lay tiles be acceptable?

Is acceptable to simply tile the floor to where the bath panel meets the floor, or would you guys tile slightly under the bath and trim the height of the bath panel to sit on top of the tiles (assuming this can be done).

The kitchen has lino down at the moment. I guess my question with the kitchen is similar to the bathroom in that can I just tile floor to where the edge of the appliances are, or is it better practice to remove the appliances tile all the way to the walls and then put the appliances back in on top of the tiles?

Many thanks guys,
Rich

R

RDTiling

Thanks Colour Republic. Are you able to cut a bath panel with a jig/hack saw without the panel getting damaged.

My preference would be to tile under the bath and then put a thin bead of silicone along the bottom of the bath panel to seal it and finish it off.

...... give a 25% discount off your tiling rate for re-grouting

I was meaning to give a 75% discount and only charging 25% of my tile laying cost! Maybe I'm being too nice!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Most difficult part of your question lies with the bath panel. Depending on the type of panel will determine the best way to tile the floor. Ill try to cover all scenarios.

Wooden bath panel (no plinth) - tile up to leaving a has of 3 to 4mm between tile and panel. These sort of panels can not be adjusted and its ill advice to suggest cutting them down particularly if the are MDF. This could leave a raw edge where water can ingress and ultimately destroy the panel.

Wooden panel (with plinth) - remove and tile under the bath edge. The plinth can be adjusted. They are usually fixed to the main body of the panel with small screws from the back.

Plastic panel (flat bottom/unmolded) - again remove this sort and tile under. You can trim the bottom of the panel with a sharp blade and straight edge. I usually use my angle grinder personally.

Plastic panel (molded) - these are best described as cup shaped and usually made specifically for the bath. Id leave these in and tile as advised for the first wooden panel. They are more difficult to trim and lose all strength and rigidity if you do.

In the kitchen as posted by CR. Remove all free standing appliances and tile under.
Depending how confident you are with a saw or plane is whether not remove the plinths or kick boards. Many of my customers have thought they need access to under the units. You don't. Unless services have been placed under there. Plinths are literally there to stop damage to the doors.
If you do opt for removal, which in my opinion is better. Trim the plinth from the top edge not the bottom.

Last edited:
R

RDTiling

I had thought about offering the clean and protect method, however I am led to believe there is some serious blackening/dirtying of the grout (just through age). I've not seen the bathroom for myself yet but I'm going round later this week to see it.

They had mentioned perhaps changing the colour of the grout, to give the bathroom a different/newer look, but given the reaction for you guys to regroups, I'll perhaps try and dissuade them from going down that route!

M

Mr T

Most difficult part of your question lies with the bath panel. Depending on the type of panel will determine the best way to tile the floor. Ill try to cover all scenarios.

Wooden bath panel (no plinth) - tile up to leaving a has of 3 to 4mm between tile and panel. These sort of panels can not be adjusted and its ill advice to suggest cutting them down particularly if the are MDF. This could leave a raw edge where water can ingress and ultimately destroy the panel.

Wooden panel (with plinth) - remove and tile under the bath edge. The plinth can be adjusted. They are usually fixed to the main body of the panel with small screws from the back.

Plastic panel (flat bottom/unmolded) - again remove this sort and tile under. You can trim the bottom of the panel with a sharp blade and straight edge. I usually use my angle grinder personally.

Plastic panel (molded) - these are best described as cup shaped and usually made specifically for the bath. Id leave these in and tile as advised for the first wooden panel. They are more difficult to trim and lose all strength and rigidity if you do.

In the kitchen as posted by CR. Remove all free standing appliances and tile under.
Depending how confident you are with a saw or plane is whether not remove the plinths or kick boards. Many of my customers have thought they need access to under the units. You don't. Unless services have been placed under there. Plinths are literally there to stop damage to the doors.
If you do opt for removal, which in my opinion is better. Trim the plinth from the top edge not the bottom.

dam! i thought you was going to miss out the fact of scribing the plinth from the top not the bottom! thats my browney points gone lol... and re-grouting is horrible unless there is a better tool than a grout rake out there!

B

bugs183

Regrouts really aren't too bad if you have a Fein or an Exact Saw, and a good vacuum cleaner, and some guys do lots of them.

Yep it's a poo job, but with the right kit it's quite easy, changing grout colour can be a problem, unless you use the grout colourants that are out there. If you're not keen then charge day rate, plus a little bit of agro Tax. Grout rakes are rubbish, you'll scratch the tiles for certain with those.

I do a few now and again, regrout, polish up and re-silicon the bath. Can actually be amazing the difference it makes.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Going to my first quotation....any advice appreciated. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
G
Hi, I am going to be tiling my kitchen floor the only problem I have is that part of it is...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB