UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss gold at the end of the tiling course rainbow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

It really depends on your drive and determination to get yourself out there.
After I completed my course 2 years ago I got together the best portfolio I could from the jobs I had done - spend all my free time going into as many kitchen shops, bathroom shops, tile shops, chasing builders, plumbers until I got some work. I live in Halifax, but did not limit myself to that - went to all the towns & cities in a 20 mile radius - Huddersfield, Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Dewsbury.
There is work out there - You've got to find it, it will not find you ( till you get a good rep )
Get talking to other trades you meet on the job - they are good contacts for work.
Have leaflets printed , do some letterbox drops.
Hang around outside tile shops, stick your business card under peoples windscreen wipers.
Phone plumbers out of the phone book or yellow pages.
Have done all this and more at the start.

All this effort and I have been busy from day one ( the odd quiet time, but that's to be expected ) No money spent on Yellow pages or newspaper ads. :)

C

Concept PHT

Is it just me, but i worries me when i hear these people doing tiling courses ,thinking its going to be easy to earn lots of dosh tiling!!! I did a tiling course two years ago and im only just starting to keep busy, first year was couple of days here and there. What are your thoughts?

Spend a bit on the yellow pages and thompson too. I get tons from these at a fraction of the cost of the local newspaper ads.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Leatherface has hit the nail on the head, its the first thing i teach, business side and marketing, no point in being a tiler if nobody knows who you are or what you do, get out there and sell and promote yourself until you have been everywhere, then go around again until your too busy to go. Once the phone starts ringing the next step is to sell yourself with your knowledge and personality to convert the quote into a job.
Order of business,

Marketing, sale (winning quote), tiling

L

Leatherface

lol your always on here leatherface when are you busy??????? just kidding ey:wub:

Have a little lad - 22 months - wife always tired, CBeebies on telly all day then wife watches soaps and goes to bed -
Me bored - too old to go out on the **** ( been there seen it done it - ex clubber and pill monster ), too tired to go to the gym, bored of **** -
Work Bloody hard all day ...
So Tilers Forum instead in the evening - happy days :)

V

Varley

Now I kow I'm sad..... flickin thru the channels last night, stumbled upon (carefully chosen words) 2 young ladies in a bathroom scene...very intimate:) problem is I found myself lookin at the tiling in the bathroom in the background....
got very angry with myself, gave myself a mental slap and went to bed...

There comes a time in everyones life when you need to take a step back from work, for you i think that time has come. :wink_smile:

L

Leatherface

Looks like the gold may be coming - just got another natural sandstone job - 26 sq m - self level over UFH - rectangular, empty room - totally flat - kitchen units going in after

10 bags self leveller @ £20
Primer £10
Self level labour £100
Tile fixing - 26 sq m @ £50 per metre

Yes, this is expensive per metre, but job is on recommend and customer desperate - took a risk on price and got it !!! Why not ?

K

kapitan

hey leather at least dick turpin wore a mask m8!! :wink_smile: only jokin buddy, works piling in big style for me as well at the mo ££££££££££
icon10.gif

C

Concept PHT

Looks like the gold may be coming - just got another natural sandstone job - 26 sq m - self level over UFH - rectangular, empty room - totally flat - kitchen units going in after

10 bags self leveller @ £20
Primer £10
Self level labour £100
Tile fixing - 26 sq m @ £50 per metre

Yes, this is expensive per metre, but job is on recommend and customer desperate - took a risk on price and got it !!! Why not ?

Nice.... ;)

T

tjsmiler

Yeah i often find myself looking at cracks in other peoples showers lol

Now I kow I'm sad..... flickin thru the channels last night, stumbled upon (carefully chosen words) 2 young ladies in a bathroom scene...very intimate:) problem is I found myself lookin at the tiling in the bathroom in the background....
got very angry with myself, gave myself a mental slap and went to bed...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to gold at the end of the tiling course rainbow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.