Discuss Golden rules of tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone,
have looked at many posts but cannot seem to find the answers I require,so thought I'd post.

I am in the process of completely updating our bathroom,new shower cubicle,new rads,new ceiling,floor & wall tiles,etc.

I understand about walls being out,putting battens on wall & putting cuts into corners,& basically choosing the best compromise ,as you cannot get everything you want when you retile a room.

Basically when you look at a finished tiled room,should all the tiles & vertical grout lines be exactly opposite on the other wall?

I 've tiled to adjacent walls ,with a half tile cut in both corners,in the other untiled corner we are putting a quadrant shower cubicle ,now i wanted to use full tiles from the shower cubicle corner working outwards,one side to a doorway,but along the other wall,this would mean that tiles on opposite walls do not line up.

Should I match the opposite tiles/grout lines up parallel & then accept that I will end up with cut tiles in the corner of the shower.

Regards

M

mache

Not a tiler but coming to the completion of my own bathroom project. I decided that I would go for matched grout lines on all walls to the floor. Wasn't easy but I managed it and pleased with the result. Looking now if I hadn't done it I am pretty sure I would have been dissapointed with the finished effect. You are client and contractor as I was. Am I right in thinking hand on heart you feel it will be best to line it all up. If so then I think you probably know the route to go. The guys on here though will give you good professional advice.
Regards
Martin

R

RDTiling

There are probably different opinions to your question, but my personal one is 'no', it doesn't matter on the vertical lines. My answer would be different if you were working in a perfectly symmetrical room.

For example, in my bathroom, the wall with the bath has five tiles going across it, whereas the opposite wall has a window and a pipe box on it and only has four tiles going across it.

The bath wall was tiled from the centre, with the middle of the tile being lined up with the centre line.

The opposite wall was also tiled from the centre, but the edge of the tile was lined up with the centre line.

Again, my opinion would be to sacrifice the vertical grout lines in order to achieve better sized cuts into the corners.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough, but ask if anything is unclear.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mache

The other posters have made me realise I missed an important point in my original reply. My response was based on my floor tiles being same width as the wall tiles. 600x600 floor and 600x300 wall tiles in landscape layout(not brick bond). Hence I wanted the continuity.
Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Not a tiler but coming to the completion of my own bathroom project. I decided that I would go for matched grout lines on all walls to the floor. Wasn't easy but I managed it and pleased with the result. Looking now if I hadn't done it I am pretty sure I would have been dissapointed with the finished effect. You are client and contractor as I was. Am I right in thinking hand on heart you feel it will be best to line it all up. If so then I think you probably know the route to go. The guys on here though will give you good professional advice.
Regards
Martin

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Golden rules of tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB