Discuss Gotta love it! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

....Or not...this is all part of being self-employeed...I spent 5 hours this morning preparing an estimate and sent it off to my customer. I've worked for these people many times over the years and have done numerous projects for them.

My price for labor and materials was about $13,400. His response: "Oh, that's a lot more than I had hoped for....I was looking for about $5000."

This guy is a somewhat accomplished DIY-er. He should know at least what materials would be, or close to it.

My list of materials, without any markup, was over $4000. :mad2:

Ohhhh, well.....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Tiz right rob!

Probably the only way you can get on with it all, just give the price and move on. if the gamble pays off, you're a winner, if it doesn't you've only lost a bit of time quoting for it.

We've seen a few backfire though lately where the customer has gone for a cheaper option and got stung somehow.

I know Dave had a lass that gave him the hump on a job and then has been let down and asked Dave to do it again. Haha.

R

Rob Z

Tiz right rob!

Probably the only way you can get on with it all, just give the price and move on. if the gamble pays off, you're a winner, if it doesn't you've only lost a bit of time quoting for it.

We've seen a few backfire though lately where the customer has gone for a cheaper option and got stung somehow.

I know Dave had a lass that gave him the hump on a job and then has been let down and asked Dave to do it again. Haha.

Dan, sometimes I also say "the best job is the one you don't get". I've had a few that just didn't seem right, and after the fact I realized just how lucky I was not to get the job.

D

doug boardley

Tiz right rob!

I really hope Debs doesn't read this:yikes::yikes:

G

Graham100

Price conditioning is the answer.

If you dare to, mention a price on your first visit that you know you can beat, then when they get the quote it will be a pleasant surprise to them, You have to be quick with your quote though or they could take you at face value and give the job to someone else.

Women are good at this:

Wife: "I was in town today and saw an expensive pair of shoes and fell in love with them"

You thinking: "here we go"

Wife: "Janet at work has a pair and hers cost £200"

You thinking: "Oh crap!"

Wife: "The ones I saw were marked at £180"

You out loud: "HOW MUCH!!!!?"

Wife: "But I got them in the sale for £90"

You out loud "Brilliant, clever girl!"

You thinking "WTF just happened?"

She price conditioned you.....it works, used in selling all the time.

Reply to Gotta love it! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Does the TTA check companies under their associations preparation work and website info? I only...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Be the Best with BAL! The importance of correct training should never be underestimated. As the...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
D
Hello, This is my first posting on a forum so firstly I hope I'm in the right one. This may be...
Replies
Views
A&D Tilers
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Gotta love it!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.