Discuss granfix maxi grout (charcoal)discolouring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I've got the same problem with Granfix maxigrout brown. I used clean water and washboy. Got the call yesterday from the customer to say that the grout has gone a funny colour. The man at Tile Depot tried to sell him a cleaner to clear up efflorescence. This is the first time I have used Granfix grout. I believe that the BAL Microcolour reduces the chances of efflorescence. I will try and sort out this issue this week.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
2011-08-16_14-22-28_991.jpg
I tried to clean with 'cement away', but the grout is getting whiter. I have scrubbed away with scotch pads, but the problem is getting worse. I would have thought that efflorescence would come away with a bit of scraping, but this is not the case with this situation. I noticed yesteray that the bag of grout has a date of Jan'10. It states that it should be used within 12 months of this date. The date is so smudged on the bag that it was very difficult to read. The grout was only bought last week by the customer. The customer is bringing the bag back to Tile Depot. I also noticed that the unused mixed grout that I threw away is not actually brown in colour. It has a uniform silver/white/dusty colour. So could this be down to the fact that the grout is old?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
The area is only 1.5sqm. So I only mixed a small amount of grout. I normally use BAL grout, but recently customers have been getting their own grout. I did 30sqm of floor a few weeks back and used an Italian grout. I mixed it to the letter (used a measuring jug for water). It turned out so dry I had difficulty working with it. I have never used Granfix grout, but it did state only to mix enough for 20mins work! Good job I was not doing a big floor area, as I'm pretty sure there would definitely be colour variation in the grout. So if anything, I may have slightly (only slightly) mixed the grout a little on the wet side. I used a well squeezed out sponge to wipe off excess grout. If I don't have any luck with the vinegar do you think I could just paint on Aquamix colourant?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
You might struggle to get Aquamix colourant now but I can say that the stuff sold by Tradetiler is as good if not better...actually I prefer it, it seems to take hold quicker.
Tradetiler Universeal Grout Colour

arghh. No brown!!! Cheers anyway Sir Ramic.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to granfix maxi grout (charcoal)discolouring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
granfix maxi grout (charcoal)discolouring
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.