Discuss Grout and adhesive for high heat area in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MollyHowell

I have to tile around a wall-mounted gas fireplace. I am using 15cmx 30cm ceramic tiles that look like stacked stone. Given the extremes in temperature around the fireplace (temps could easily go above 200C), what is the best adhesive to use? Also, what kind of grout should I use? I am sure I will need a flexible grout to cope with expanding and contracting from the heat but is there anything specifically for this purpose? What size grout line should I use, or should I not have one at all? The substrate is a fireproof backer board. Thanks for any and all help!

Here's a picture of the type of fireplace I mean: fireplace.jpg

M

MollyHowell

Thanks! I appreciate it. I didn't think I would grout it, but I have been told that I should leave a small gap to allow for expansion and contraction of the tiles. Percentage wise, how much can ceramic tiles expand if they are exposed to, say, 150 degrees? Should I leave a 1 mil between tiles to be safe? The shadows caused by the uneven tile surface may allow me to do that visually.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout and adhesive for high heat area in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB