Discuss Grout cracked where walls meet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JulesA

Hi

I've noticed that the grout has cracked most of the way down where two walls meet in the area around the shower. It's not a power shower and water isn't running down the wall, but obviously it is getting splashed. See pictures of crack. Second one a close-up, if it helps. tiles1.jpg tiles2.jpg

What should I do so water doesn't get behind the tiles? I think I read on other posts people saying there should be silicone in the corner and not grout? So could I just silicone over the grout? And in that case could use Ottoseal S70 as between the bath and the tiles, or would I need a different type of silicone?

Or is there a better and more long-lasting solution?

I posted elsewhere about how to replace the sealant on the tiles. Maybe redoing that would do enough to keep it waterproof? But I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for any help!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Jules,
Try not to use the shower until you have completed the following.
Remove old grout with a Hardiebacker knife (as above). about £7
If you just silicone over the old cracking grout then there is chance that the grout will break out through the silicone and water will get in.
Clean the grout line with methylated spirit.
Then silicone down the line (look on youtube for how to do this).

Is the bottom of the tray (where the wall tiles meet the tray) siliconed? It is normal practice to silicone any joints that may get wet.

Alternatively, call a tiler!

Good luck.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout cracked where walls meet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views
Work Done Epoxy grout was installed by the Grouting company on the tiles on the external balcony...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB