Discuss Grout discoloration in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

nigel os

Hi lads,

New to forum so forgive me if its been done before. I used to get a lot of grout discolouration whilst working in Greece. I used to mix the grout leave it for 10 minutes apply it and wipe off with long continuous strokes with a damp but well squeezed spongue. Sometimes beautiful but other times especially on floors some pesky stains. Does anyone know what causes it. My technique or quality of grout? I learnt to tile with a colleague in Crete and never really got to the bottom of it. Always told by Greeks that it was red soil contamination
but that was a fob off for all. (always complimented on our proper setting out and not the Greek habit of starting full tile in a corner just to avoid cuts). Any ideas and is there a grout anyone swears by? Thanks for any info.

T

tilerbarry

Always double mix the grout with a paddle on your drill, and with the mapei grout never be tempted to add any more water to the mix while you leave it stand for a couple of minutes before the 2nd mix because you'll find it will get wetter looking on its own and when you do your 2nd mix it will be perfect consistency to use. Every few minutes give it a knock up with your bucket trowel ( no water ) and the grout will be good to use for over an hour in bucket if you do this.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout discoloration in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

B
new tiles laid down - still after 2 months brownish colour coming off on trousers of baby...
Replies
Views
bousoulas
B
C
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here as work has been busy. I'm after some advice...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
T
Hi All, Just tiled a bathroom floor and grouted in cream, just as I was about to seal the grout...
Replies
Views
Tresco
T
T
I have never seen poor glazing in tiles like this before I have laid these tiles yesterday...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Just finished tiling a bathroom - full height + floor in 600 x 300 "Thassos" (very...
Replies
Views
Blake Tiler
B
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB