Discuss Grout Discolouration - The Question ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alba820

Hi Folks
A newbee to the forum and joined up prior to starting a total refurb of our small en-suit shower room (timber frame bungalow).
Have taken a lot of time ensuring things prep'd and finished with care, new walls, floor, plumbing etc.
Have hit the problem of patchy discolouration of some of the grout lines on two of the walls !!!!!
The room has not yet been used and the tiles after fixing were not grouted for several days.
Bal flexible blue star white adhesive used and white bal grout to finish.
Interestingly the discolouration is on both a wall finished with mapei shower waterproofing kit and one that was not.
Substrate is green plasterboard, sealed with mapei primer - all walls.
Having just checked the depth of discolouration, it seems to be in the top 1mm and I assume is bleed from the biscuit. Still to explore further in other areas
THE QUESTION to you whizz kids: If I rake this out & re-grout, is the discolouration likely to re-occur and if so would spraying the joint with grout sealant, pre grouting, resolve the issue ?
Have found the forum to be a source of great help over the last few weeks - many thanks to you all.

A

alba820

Thanks for your prompt replies.
The problem has occurred on inside walls. The discolouration is a straw yellow colour on the surface and does not seem to be full depth
The adhesive thickness is apx 4 - 5mm
Grout line 3mm
The grouting was done over a couple of days and the discolouration is evident in places from each day.
Grout applied with a rubber float and cleaned off with tilers sponge.
Some photos attached below
Grout3a.jpg
Grout2.jpg
Grout1.jpg
Look forward to your further thoughts.
Cheers

Reply to Grout Discolouration - The Question ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hi there First time poster - have had a tiler come and do our kitchen floor in terracotta...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout Discolouration - The Question ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.