Discuss Grout drying different colours in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

Good evening. Just a quick question. When using a darker grout colour I find sometimes that on some of the lines the grout has dried slightly darker or lighter then the rest. From your experience any idea why this would be. Is it caused by wipin the excess grout off before the grout has had time to harden or something else. Many thanks.

i 'think' mate its not wiping off the excess grout too early, its leaving too much water on the grout, try rinsing your sponge more thoroughly when wiping down

K

kaharrison9

My experience with Mapei ultra colour is that when doing floors the grout dry's absolutely consistent and true to the swatch-great.
When doing walls I have stopped using it due to the inconsistent shades-shocking
I have used every method regarding there grout for walls, measured and weighed the water and grout, virtually used no water when drying off,etc.

I do think it is something to do with the walls being vertical and floors horizontal and it been a rapid setting grout.

When we wash down a floor after the final wash down we leave the floor and all remaining water on the tile face stays where it is and gradually dries out.

When we wash a wall down after the final wash unlike the floor the water on the tile face gradually drains downwards towards the horizontal grout lines, builds up then in areas bleeds into the grout line and across. I think where it bleeds into the grout is possibly where these inconsistency's occur.

The floor grout is allowed to cure unhindered the wall grout as it is curing is still receiving water in an un deliberate way.

Hope it makes sense, my theory.

Kevin

S

Stef

My experience with Mapei ultra colour is that when doing floors the grout dry's absolutely consistent and true to the swatch-great.
When doing walls I have stopped using it due to the inconsistent shades-shocking
I have used every method regarding there grout for walls, measured and weighed the water and grout, virtually used no water when drying off,etc.

I do think it is something to do with the walls being vertical and floors horizontal and it been a rapid setting grout.

When we wash down a floor after the final wash down we leave the floor and all remaining water on the tile face stays where it is and gradually dries out.

When we wash a wall down after the final wash unlike the floor the water on the tile face gradually drains downwards towards the horizontal grout lines, builds up then in areas bleeds into the grout line and across. I think where it bleeds into the grout is possibly where these inconsistency's occur.

The floor grout is allowed to cure unhindered the wall grout as it is curing is still receiving water in an un deliberate way.

Kevin

This is probably the most rational explanation I have heard regarding shading of grout on walls.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds

Kevin

Completely agree Kev, I never seem to have shading problems with any floors only occasionally on walls

I find weber grout dries really quick on the tile but stays so wet in the joint that because you have to get the grout off the tile so quick you end up wiping the grout out of the joint. The stuff is just to fine in texture for me. I have tried most grouts and am all settled and getting smoochie with mapei ff keracolor , great stuff, easier to work with than ultracolor and never had it dry patchy, give it a go

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout drying different colours in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB