Discuss Grout How Deep? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GoEasy

Hello All,

Just had my bathroom wall and floor tiles grouted.

The grouting looks good from the surface but from sides they appear to be about 2mm deep.

The tiles are Marble, 12mm thick.

Tiles applied properly on Hardiback Substrate, Tiled mounted on bed of adhesive and tiles were lightly buttered.

Appreciate your views, thank you.

Attachments

• 20130622_192525[1].jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20130622_174850[1].jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20130622_174723[1].jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20130622_174658[1].jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 86
S

SJPurdy

The overall appearance looks good. I assume you are referring to photo 3 where the grout at the edge of the tile doesn't penetrate to the full depth of the tile. This may just be at the edge where it hasn't been pressed in well ( it may have spilled over the edge easier than going into the joint or the tiler wasn't compressing it enough as he didn't want it to flow over the edge and make a mess). Can you tell if it is just at this exposed edge or wether it is more general?

G

GoEasy

The overall appearance looks good. I assume you are referring to photo 3 where the grout at the edge of the tile doesn't penetrate to the full depth of the tile. This may just be at the edge where it hasn't been pressed in well ( it may have spilled over the edge easier than going into the joint or the tiler wasn't compressing it enough as he didn't want it to flow over the edge and make a mess). Can you tell if it is just at this exposed edge or wether it is more general?

From seeing all of the side edges by the door frame where the architrave is due to fit; this seem to be consistent. On that basis I would assume the Tiler did not compress it far enough.

The Tiler told me to Buy 2 X 5KG Bags of Mapei but only used about 80% of one Bag. I have a full unopened bag.

Would this cause problems or am I worrying about nothing?

PS Tiles requited for my bathroom were 16 meter square

G

GoEasy

I'd be more concerned with the lack of adhesive on the edge of the tiles in picture 3.

The tiles in pic 3 are small cuttings 30cm x 10cm; overall i am satisfied that the application of Tiles has been fine ie generous Bed of adhesive plus back buttering.

I have been constantly observing the Tiling and providing positive feedback the only regret I have is that I did watch him do the grouting. So to some extent I blame myself. But it's a lesson learnt.

I will not repeat this mistake when i get the kitchen done :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the same tiler that you had concerns with regarding the corners last week? Have you spoken to the tiler about this? I am concerned that you have so many questions regarding his working practices yet he is now nearly finished.

Yes this is the same Tiler; overall he is good but there are certain practices that conflict with what I have come across here for instance he was insisting on grouting corners and change of planes; so I sought advice here and the consensus was to silicone those areas. I spoke to him and we agreed to Silicone.

I also thought that the spacing size in corners varied a little bit so I sought advice here and was assured that though they were not perfect, they were fine and the bead of Silicone would conceal any minor deviations.

Having seen pictures on sites like Houzz and observed the degree of professionalism here, it is no surprize my expectations are now very high.
May be I am expecting TOO MUCH after all the grout spacing is 1mm. How can anyone be expected to fill that in all the way using the approved grout float application technique?

My first port of call has always been to seek advice here, not only has it benefitted me immensely but hopefully the threads I have created may assist someone else.
On face value the work I have seen meets my expectations, only time will tell.

The works I have had done is by a Building company; Choice of Substrate, preparation and Tiling was the key for me. As regards to Plumbing, Joinery, Electrics, Plastering I have no issues.
Like Gas Safe I think all professional Tilers should be regulated by a body and be subjected to refresher courses even if it is just one day a year.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout How Deep? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB